Early spring riding.

barbotte

well weather expect 30 cm of snow for this week end ,,, so it will be a late spring riding if that happend ...cheer

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
South side is in worst shape then 2 weeks ago, another 2-3 inches of snow everywhere making it unrideable. Making it worst is the heat today making the top layer of snow really soft, perfect for front tire washing.

We cut the ride short today.
Save the gas, wait at least another week before going out.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Ryan and I wen't out Friday night to test our night riding gear South side, thought I'd share what we found.

South is in much better shape, most trails are 20-30% snow left with <2 inches of snow for the spots that still have snow, with a few exceptions.
-mud run still has a lot of snow from the skidoo trail, avoid
-trickie dickie <20% snow
-blazing saddle <20% snow, this trail is littered with deadfall
-road to BFH from blazing was dry, no snow
-the trail from the road to BFH (I don't know the name) about 50% snow covered
-BFH initial climb is still covered in snow and pretty gnarley to climb with snow over rocks, but the rest is <10% snow
-straddlebug and p o r n o palace were both great <10% snow
-we took chicken out back to the road to catch DMZ, the road was mostly clear of snow <10%
-DMZ <10% snow left
-HCM bridge washed out, impossible to cross, the water is at least a foot over what's left of the bridge and the valley around the bridge is full of snow
-helter skelter was great
-Odette was a snow mess, >75% snow, and a large water crossing that's too deep, avoid
-3 floods wet fun as usual, <20% snow
-mnr clear of snow
-claim jumper / 2 were both in great shape, <10% snow
-perch lake inner still very snowed in, made getting out to k&p slow going, 50% snow
-K&P is a mess right now, we rode it back to highfalls, at least 10 flooded sections that go for hundreds of feet, deepest was 18-24 inches. Most lakes / swamps still have ice, which means the flooded areas will get even higher, plan your ride without K&P.

Every trail is extremely wet and deadfall is everywhere, if you haven't already, sign up for the Calabogie South side clean-up on May 12th!

View attachment 20180428 - HCM bridge.jpg
View attachment 20180428 - BFH lookout.jpg

mart242

Is there a good map of calabogie somewhere? DMZ, BFH, HCM, .. trickie dickie.. no idea where any of this is!

Marilius

Hey Mart242,

Unfortunately there is no official map(s) of Calabogie. However the best way to get maps is to join Rides and bring your GPS to record them.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Haha, got it!

We rode AOAA in Pennsylvania last weekend, balmy 22c and no snow in 95% of the trails.
West of Brockville / South is on grass / light snow, anyone with studs can easily ride there now, if you can find trails that is.

We are visiting Calabogie next weekend, will report then.

sensor330

TrentG":28ke2i18 said:
Just moved here from BC; jonesing for a trail ride....who's game this weekend?

Trent
I moved here from BC in September. I'd be up for a ride this weekend if we can sort out a location. The post is this thread look promising, however we'll need some GPS tracks to ensure we're on the right spot.

Scott

zedro

I wouldnt count on Calabogie this weekend, especially if your not familiar with the area. From looking at sledding posts on facebook, there's going to be lots of soft snow pack still left. That and it's snowing another 12cm.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Ryan and I visited Calabogie today.

Arnprior <2" of snow left
The drive on the 508 was 2-3" then 2 feet, very sporadic snow accumulation the whole way.

Parked at Highfalls, we took to Bompas first.
2nd / 3rd gear no issue...mostly 2-4" of snow, dealt with deadfall, a bad water crossing, we did about 4km's in 35min.
We did about 1 km under the hydro line from staircase to new trail, out in the open, snow baking in the sun, it still felt and looked like 2-4" of snow until we got to a big downhill...
Ryan was leading, I cress the hill only to see him knee deep in snow and could barely see the wheels.
That's when we discovered we'd been riding on 2 feet of snow with an ice crust 3-6" from the top that was floating us.
Seeing that, we didn't want to chance moving forward, so we doubled back.
That's when we also discovered the last 1km had just enough of a downhill grade that our momentum got us that far without breaking through the layer of ice.
Studs did squat, our swing arm would get stuck on the ice crust with the wheel spinning...the only way forward was to break the ice crust with our feet, only to drop another 6-18" to hit the ground depending on where we were on the trail, pin it and tug!
It took us 3 hours to backtrack 1km to staircase, it was brutal.

Moral of the story...front tuggers are the bomb, bompas can suck it, the storm patterns this winter left very sporadic accumulations throughout calabogie.
We'll be visiting next weekend :D

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the report, sounds like you got an excellent work out on the way back ;-) Sounds like it was brutal.

Look forward to see if next weekend is any better.