WR250R-Owners Opinions?

Tim Taylor

Hello,

Anyone out there own a 2008 or newer Yamaha WR250R? What do you predominantly use it for, and what are your opinions of the bike. From what I have read it is a little down on power off the line, and it is a little heavy for serious off-road work, but amazing everywhere else (suspension in general (off/on road), good top speed, fuel injected, etc.).

I am trying to narrow down my next machine (only want one). I would like something that would be good for commuting to work (15-30 mins on road 80km or less), good for dual sport rides, the occasional tight trails, and cheap to insure and maintain. I think my time spent on a bike would be 60% road, 40% off-road. I know about the DRZ400S, and it would be interesting to compare those two bikes.

Regards,
Tim

PeteZ

The WR is a great bike (just ask Ronzo for his glowing reviews). I've tried his, and found the suspension is awesome for a DS, but the seat really sucks for commuting. Smooth fuelie engine.

My (rejetted and other free mods) lil KLX is much friendlier for the commute (quite comfortable), and has suspension while softer than the WR, is still capable for trail riding - just don't do any 4' jumps with it. Although this could be debated ad-naseum, I found that my rejetted KLX had *slightly* better torque than the wr down low (where I prefer it on the trail), but ran out of steam up high where the wr keeps pulling. With a 13tooth front on my KLX for the trail, I found the power 'adequate'. My opinion is that the WR isn't sig better overall wrt power. My KLX is quite happy at anything up to 110kmh (gps) on the road, pulling 7krpm @ 100kmh with the stock 14t front, tops out @ 130ish (no wind).

I'm glad I didn't do the WR, as I do 70/30 commuting/trail with mine.

I found the DRX400 much more of a beast on the tight trails, and buzzier on the highway due to it's shorter gearing.

fwiw, ymmv, yadda, yadda, yadda

:)

Tim Taylor

Ronzo sent me a PM, and I talked with him on the phone. Barring a 400cc version of the same bike coming out, I think this is the route I will go. I have read a lot of good things about them.

PeteZ

wow, I'm surprised ;-) ....It is a fine bike with great suspension.

Hey Ronzo - you need to request commissions from Yammi! :)

Once my rings wear out (so far I've got 21k kms on it without any issues - maybe around 50k in two more years?), I'll have to try the 350 jug in my lil KLX. Reportedly turns it into a real 'tractor' - and no fancy electrical fuel & induction 'stuff' to go wrong in the bush - the'ol KISS principle :)

Tim Taylor

My friend and his wife owned a pair of KLX's when they first started out into dirt bikes, and they like them a lot. They ended up buying Husky's, and getting more into trail riding. I would like to do a mix of trail riding and commuting, so I think the WR will be the ticket.

DSGuy

Hi Tim,

I have had a WR250R for 2 years now. I find it quite good for road and DS purposes, as well as some track. Tank is small, but so are most others.
Changes I "had" to make were seat replacement (I switched to Corbin) and a larger rear sprocket, from the standard 43 teeth to 45 (to save clutch tear and wear in tight spots). I bought a GYTR rear sprocket. Chain could stay at standard 108 links.

Other changes, forced on me by trees that did not step aside, are Ken Sean folding enduro mirrors, hand protectors, and one of those larger diameter handle bars (with corresponding GYTR supports).

Further changes were heated handles, permanent GPS power, and a speedohealer (with the 45 tooth rear sprocket the indicated speed was about 13% higher than the GPS speed). A small tank bag for some spare parts and a rear rack to hold two 1 L fuel cans. Cruising dirt roads at 70 - 80 km/h I can get a 190 km range, at highway speeds with head wind the range can go down to to 135 km.

Great bike, still can do more than I dare to throw at it. About 9k km so far. No problems other than the poorly designed plastic fork protectors which required heating/bending as they lost shape. Could have a bit more power for highway cruising (I can't get a true 120 km/h in strong headwinds, not that I would ever try).

I recommend shopping around, including the QC side and Cornwall.

Cheers, Heinrich

DSGuy

And yeah, coming to think of it, there is a skid plate I added. Must have been tired last night...