Where to ride in Calabogie area with Kids ?

Hi,

I have been riding last 2 years almost only Limerick Forest with my oldest son. He's getting a little bit bored of doing the same trails again and again. So I was thinking I could try Calabogie. But I have never been there on a bike, I've drove around the area for other activities such as hiking or camping but nothing on the off-road trails.

Where would be the best place to start in there with a kid ?

I would be looking for anything that closer to Kingston(where I live), so probably on the southern side.
My son can do most of the trails in Limerick, so anything requiring similar skills would be good.
Even ATV trails would be fine, I just want to try something different with him.
I know I could do some of the K&P trail, but it just seem too flat and boring !

I appreciate any help

Thanks

Simon

My son is 8 yrs old, he's been riding since 4yrs old
Currently ride a TTR-50. About to switch to an TTR-110

I'm not sure how to mesure the skill level, but he can do all the trails we found in Limerick, the only time he need help is when the bike bottom out in ruts or mud or sand. He cannot jump down small drop yet(like that small jump in one of Limerick's steep slope) neither he can go over wood logs. But I suspect he might limited by the bike size.

Bottom line, I would probably say intermediate.

Thanks for any suggestion

Simon

Oxmach

Hello Simon, the BMA web site has a page to determine approximate skill level. Here is the link http://www.bma1.ca/what-level-rider-am-i.php. Calabogie is a tough area, as easy twin track can become very difficult quite quickly. When we run club orientation rides the biggest challenge is trying to find a loop that stays within a specific skill set.
Typically we suggest if it a persons first time at Calabogie to join a group 1 level below where you feel your ability is at.

My recommendation is to have a look at the web page to determine skill level, and plan to attend the skill training days the club runs in the spring to assess and improve.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
I checked the TTR110 and it says 14" front and 12" rear, that's what, 5-6" clearance?

All ATV trails in Calabogie have a gnarly section that a 5-6" clearance bike might struggle in.
Without knowing how good he is, its already really difficult to recommend anything.

If you say he's still intermediate limerick after checking the link oxmach posted, then there's plenty of atv trails we could explore.
I would recommend you park at high falls and ride bompas with him. It's 7.5 km's (15km's loop) and has a lot of what you would find in other ATV trails in Calabogie.

If he rides that trail without any difficulty I'd be happy to meet up with you guys and take you out to explore similar ATV trails and adjust from there.
If your are interested in finding out more about where to park and how to get to bompas, pm me, happy to exchange #'s and chat.

Oxmach":17ox9wf6 said:
Hello Simon, the BMA web site has a page to determine approximate skill level. Here is the link http://www.bma1.ca/what-level-rider-am-i.php. Calabogie is a tough area, as easy twin track can become very difficult quite quickly. When we run club orientation rides the biggest challenge is trying to find a loop that stays within a specific skill set.
Typically we suggest if it a persons first time at Calabogie to join a group 1 level below where you feel your ability is at.

My recommendation is to have a look at the web page to determine skill level, and plan to attend the skill training days the club runs in the spring to assess and improve.

Thanks for the info, I've been trying to participate in those rides BMA organise at beginning of the riding season so I would have to come here and ask those questions, but for 2 years in a row, it ended up to be when I was away for work. That's also the main reason I've limited myself to Limerick for the last two years.

Also, I'm more concerned about finding a trail my kids will be happy with, if they hated it, it's going to be harder to convince to go again !

Simon

stephlal":eesiabit said:
I checked the TTR110 and it says 14" front and 12" rear, that's what, 5-6" clearance?

All ATV trails in Calabogie have a gnarly section that a 5-6" clearance bike might struggle in.
Without knowing how good he is, its already really difficult to recommend anything.

If you say he's still intermediate limerick after checking the link oxmach posted, then there's plenty of atv trails we could explore.
I would recommend you park at high falls and ride bompas with him. It's 7.5 km's (15km's loop) and has a lot of what you would find in other ATV trails in Calabogie.

If he rides that trail without any difficulty I'd be happy to meet up with you guys and take you out to explore similar ATV trails and adjust from there.
If your are interested in finding out more about where to park and how to get to bompas, pm me, happy to exchange #'s and chat.

Thanks for the reply,

I looked at the skill description. I think, he would probably be a novice. As for the bike, I usually bring the TTR-50 just because I don't have to help him lift the bike on its wheels when he fall, especially going into new trails where he might fall more. The TTR-110 is still a bit to big for him, so as long as he's moving fwd it's good, but when he stop, that's where it's problematic.

I will pm you for more info.

Simon

Thanks to all of you who provided info.

I ended up going to Lavant Station and rode some trails from there. It was 1:30h drive from Kingston. The trails were more challenging than Limerick with a lot of steep elevation change. Some of the trail going up by the cliffs were actually pretty scary, almost reminded me of some trails in the Rockies, but my son was able to go through all of it on his TTR-50. Sometime it took more than one try, but still, I did not have to carry the bike for him at any time.

Sadly we had to end the day earlier after 3h of riding, and walk back to the truck due to my bike giving me a persistent foul plug(I had forgotten spare plugs at home), I was lucky enough that it died less than 1 km from the parking !

Nevertheless, it was a good area for those who want to challenge their kids without pushing them too much.

Here are some pictures on the trail :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WtcRijt0e281LwNFl3YdNZJlM7_E_P5I
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t6AW94MPsTXc7wzKNj6LomFFZu24sOhV

Simon