What was that Austrian engineer thinking?

Gord

The one who decided that loose needles in swingarm bearings is a good idea for current Husky (and presumably KTM).

Went to lube swingarm pivot the way I have on dozens of bikes over decades and found this new design the hard way. Fortunately I rounded up all needles and patiently coaxed them back where they belong. Needed a magnet to fish out some stubborn ones sideways in groove behind seal. But I know the drill for lubing next time - slide the sleeve part way out, grease that side, slide part way out the other way, grease other side.

Is there some benefit to this design relative to normal caged needle bearings? Hopefully it is not just to save a few manufacturing pennies on a 10K bike...

zedro

Non caged are stronger (more bearing surface area), alot of swingarm bearings are like that (including my 250xc). It's easy when there's a healthy dose of grease in there, they stay put just like the caged.

Gord

That makes sense, but I still don't like it :)

This was the second wrenching surprise this week. I almost dropped the lower triple clamp when greasing steering bearings since this is the first bike in forever where the lower clamp is not attached once the top clamp is removed.

zedro

Doesn't sound as bad as loosing the little 1x4mm poppet valve spring in the cartridge forks....that was a fun half hour...