Wannabe ice racer

oldracer

I am looking for some advice.I have a 13 year old son who gave up hockey this winter so he could ice race his XR100.I realize the XR100 is not exactly an ice racing favourite but at this time it is all he has.We are looking for studded tires that will fit this little machine but unfortunately we are told that they are not available.(300x16 rear and 250x19 front)
I can have a set of tires profesionally studded for it at a price of about $650.00 by the time I get them to my door.Add in a front fender guard and we are looking at about $750.00 for 5 races.If he was done growing and keeping this bike for the next few years I wouldn't mind spending the money but I'm sure he will outgrow this bike soon and we will be studding the tires on a 125 before long.Any ideas on how he can try ice racing without putting out a grand would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

davemack

If your tires are in good shape, you can stud your own tires. they will have to be lined first with cut up discarded street tires first. you can buy studs (1" studs will be o.k) you will probly need about 200 studs for both tires. you only need to stud center and the left side only. you will have to build a front fender gaurd. these plans can be had buy me at ottawa goodtime or woody at his fine establishment. we can offer discard tires and studding techniques.
all said in done you could probly be on the ice for between $200 and $300. Your son will need a road race spine protector for about $100.
this bike would be perfectly o.k in the "C" class (mini).
hope to see you out there.

dave mackenzie
ottawa goodtime ctr
613 731 9071

ktmkevin

If you decide to stud your own tires I would strongly suggest you take a good look at professionally studded tires to get some idea of the pattern and angles. This is critically important to have a decent level of grip. Also, I'm not sure if you really need to run a liner as the power (or lack of) shouldn't be that hard on tires. Just use the shorter screws so as not to go all the way through the tire. Maybe someone with more expertise than me can join this conversation. And don't let all this stuff discourage you as ice racing is a ton of fun for all ages and a great learning tool for young riders (wish I'd started 30 years ago!).

oldracer

I was leary about studding my own tires and would have as a last resort but Woody has come up with a pair of experienced tires at a real good price.Thanks Dave and Kevin for the input.Hope to see you on the ice.