use it or loose it

shipwrek12001

Everyone is familiar with the old expression “use it or lose it”. But take it a step further. What if in fact we are
using it (a particular section of forest or a trail) – and have been doing so in a responsible and sustainable manner for
many years. And what if, with increasing land use pressure someone (let’s say the M.N.R. or a municipality) comes
along and decides to put a land management plan in place. And to complete the picture, what if they completely miss the
fact that we are “prior users” or, for that matter that we even exist at all?

all experienced trail riders who have ridden in that area for many years are unable to easily figure out if we are
talking about the same piece of trail. If we can’t figure it out, how can we expect to explain this to someone
who wants to ride in the area or who is attempting to develop a land management plan?

quoted from the news letter.

Something of an idea for the DS group to contribute.

To help with the mapping of our forests as some of us have gps mounted on our bikes or would that be too much for the average DS'er? good or bad it is a positive idea. :wink:

RnR

Mapping trail heads was mentioned during the last club meeting at the Cheshire Cat. I'm guessing the topic will get some time at the AGM too. Like myself (60Cx), there's likely quite a few GPS carrying members.

Rob

Skyllz

RnR":118fqv67 said:
Mapping trail heads was mentioned during the last club meeting at the Cheshire Cat. I'm guessing the topic will get some time at the AGM too. Like myself (60Cx), there's likely quite a few GPS carrying members.

Rob

Etrex Legend C here, love it.

shipwrek12001

the software that the news letter talks about, is that something that "has" to be used or can you get away using other programs I.E mapsource?

mike oreilly

I was the one that wrote that piece for the newsletter a while back.
I don't think that it matters how we document our trails, only that we do document them.
I have a DVD from NOHVCC (National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council) that deals with the issue. I woud be pleased to lend it to anyone who is interested.
Mike

camdenlake

I have new zumo 550 freshly mounted on my DS bike. Dont know any of the trails really but if someone wants to ride i can make the digital trail.

Thanks
Josh