Turn Signals - Essential On the Street?

EmmBeeDee

Does anyone know if it's essential that a (dual-sport) motorcycle have turn signals on the street?

Mike

misterkridered

It is not necessary in Ontario. You can use hand signals. I've been using my 1990 XR600R that way since new. You need a headlight, tail light and horn. New York State requires signals.

EmmBeeDee

misterkridered":1takj2zo said:
It is not necessary in Ontario. You can use hand signals. I've been using my 1990 XR600R that way since new. You need a headlight, tail light and horn. New York State requires signals.

If this is true, that would be excellent. But when I was in OGTC yesterday I asked and was told we did need to leave them on the bike. Wonder how we find out for sure?

misterkridered

The written regulations are vague and I think were last written in the 1960's. Obviously it is a lot safer to have signal lights on the street, however according to the regulations they are not required. If the bike had them from the factory there could be an argument that they have to be left on. I have been pulled over many times on my XR600R and no one has ever questioned the lack of signals.

misterkridered

Here is the quote from the Ontario highway Traffic Act :

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic725.html

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Idem

(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

EmmBeeDee

misterkridered":1de050dt said:
Here is the quote from the Ontario highway Traffic Act :

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic725.html

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Idem

(3) When on a highway at any time every motorcycle with a side car shall carry a lighted lamp in a conspicuous position on each side of the front of the vehicle which lamps shall display a white or amber light only and a lighted lamp on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (3).

Thanks! Much appreciated!