Trying to get trail insurance.

Carfreak77

I’m trying to get insurance for me and my 15 year old son, not going so well so far. I’ve got a trail bike and a dual sport, both green plated. Any advice or companies to look at?

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Carfreak77":3iths4p9 said:
State Farm won’t touch a minor. Apparently they used to but not for new customers now.

Did you speak with Nicole? Some of their agents are not as familiar with the policies as others. Nicole was last year, and suspect she still is.

steph

I used Dalton Timmins till last year. Then my kid switch to trials and we have a private property to ride on so I cancelled.
I gave them my truck and car insurance also. Beated everybody by 50 %.
I used to be with State Farm for my kid but Desjardins bought State farm and they dont do kids.
Good luck and don 't give up.
I was getting frustrated. It will be expensive.
Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
I also had quotes from Dalton Timmins for kids. In my case, it just worked out that State farm was cheaper. They will want you to bring your other insurance over though... be warned.

steph":3i5eoyue said:
I used Dalton Timmins till last year. Then my kid switch to trials and we have a private property to ride on so I cancelled.
I gave them my truck and car insurance also. Beated everybody by 50 %.
I used to be with State Farm for my kid but Desjardins bought State farm and they dont do kids.
Good luck and don 't give up.
I was getting frustrated. It will be expensive.
Let us know how you make out.

Carfreak77

Jesus, State Farm is looking into it. First they wanted my house policy. Now they want my cars. Next they’ll be asking for my first born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carfreak77

They still haven’t said if they will cover it though. One of the problems being I’ve got a Yamaha wr250r that’s green plated. They want an M licence and street insurance.

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Carfreak77":20fylz7a said:
They still haven’t said if they will cover it though. One of the problems being I’ve got a Yamaha wr250r that’s green plated. They want an M licence and street insurance.

I would expect that for blue plate not green?

MarkDGregory

Hey Carfreak,

Just finish this week setting up with Timmis a TTR230, DRZ125 and WR250R (blue). I had to bring my insurance over, cars, house, trailer, boat. In all I paid an extra 900 per year for all three bikes. My only criteria was that I needed under 16 insured - and actually having one source to deal with. I found an allstate that said they would insure they kids - but I asked if the kids would be explicitly on the policy, and they said no, so it gave me doubt that they would payout a liability if my kids got into an accident. Also price was high and they wanted to charge me 1100 for the WR alone.

Timmis was very helpful and accommodating. They insured me at an M2 rate, and I just got my M1 last weekend. They brought across loyalty discounts - as I had never changed insurance companies before. Perhaps they will be accommodating in your situation.

You can reach Kyle Brown <kyleb@daltontimmis.com> if you want a quote. Timmis is a broker that have negotiated an agreement with OFTR and Northbridge insurance.

Feel free to ask more questions.

-mark

Carfreak77

Good to know. Thanks. I emailed him this afternoon, hopefully I’ll get a quick response. The link in the other thread was very helpful too. I was getting pretty frustrated with Desjardins and state farm both changing their tune from the quotes I had last fall.

Jay12

This whole situation is a big dissapointment. I signed on with Nicole McCann with my bike about 2 months ago thinking it was a no brainer to get my kids insured and get them into the sport only to find out they don't insure kids. It also seems to be an all or nothing with Dalton Timmis ... either you give them all of it or forget it. If anyone has any other suggestions on how I can get my kids insured, it would be greatly appreciated... they are chomping at the bit to go riding!

J

MarkDGregory

You can try this All State agent. They were going to provide me with separate insurance for just dirt bikes kids included ... I did not go with them as I wanted it all in one place and they were too high. They also left me with a little doubt - as I asked if the kids would be named on the policy, they said no.

All State - Uxbridge - 905-852-9300 - Ask for Wendy.

-mark

Carfreak77

Dalton Timmis got me straightened out. I’m transferring all my stuff to them but I’m ending up paying the same as I did before the bikes. Now I’ve just gotta figure out a place to learn how to ride them. Thanks for all the help.

I know it's not the best(and that someone will tell me I should not do that), but just get insurance in your name for the kids bike, as long as your'e riding at all time with them... According to my insurance, I ride a PW50, a TTR-50, a YZ85 and a KTM150 all at the same time :wink:

Does the job for me. I have been doing that in different provinces, go stopped many time by different law enforcement officers and it has keep me from getting infraction tickets on public land so far.

Simon

mart242

SimonGagne":1e6dtc8w said:
I know it's not the best(and that someone will tell me I should not do that), but just get insurance in your name for the kids bike, as long as your'e riding at all time with them... According to my insurance, I ride a PW50, a TTR-50, a YZ85 and a KTM150 all at the same time :wink:

Does the job for me. I have been doing that in different provinces, go stopped many time by different law enforcement officers and it has keep me from getting infraction tickets on public land so far.

That's pretty much how you need to insure, just make sure that you get the OPFC32 endorsment or whatever it's called. It insures "non licensed drivers" on your bike. I had to do this for mine.

Where do you ride on the qc side? I thought that dirt bikes were banned from most clubs and trails, especially near Gatineau. well, that's what I found with google..

steph

mart242":2wwbim0b said:
SimonGagne":2wwbim0b said:

That's pretty much how you need to insure, just make sure that you get the OPFC32 endorsment or whatever it's called. It insures "non licensed drivers" on your bike. I had to do this for mine.

Where do you ride on the qc side? I thought that dirt bikes were banned from most clubs and trails, especially near Gatineau. well, that's what I found with google..
Mart..keep an eye out for Masham motofarm. You can read in the rides forum when it will be rideable.
We are prepping the trails and trials and new ones.. enough hijacking..lol

mart242":20o7jnxb said:
SimonGagne":20o7jnxb said:

I never rode in Qc, that's the only place I would not know about insurance and registration on public land, since its always different over there, from what I heard, riding uninsured and unregistered is more common in Qc. Regarding my post, I was talking about Alberta, BC and ON. Never got checked in Sask and MB, but I'm pretty sure its the same.

Simon