Trouble at Larosse

garry499

A friend of mine and I attended the general meeting about the land use of Larose Forest held on Jan 25th '07. The location was a local secret, or so it seemed, after driving for an hour down a series of dead-end back roads. What a hassle! We finally arrived a little after it began. The meeting was a little hard to follow for me as it was mostly said in French.

As I understand it, the issues at hand were renewable harvesting of the forest, environmental concerns, and trail usage for off road vehicles, including bikes and ATV's.

As fired up as I was to toss in my two-cents worth and, being a frequent user of the forest who has personally felt heat on the trails, I quickly disarmed when it was clear that this was a meeting about keeping "motocross" out of the forest. I guess (and its a guess) that 90% of the people there were hostile towards anyone with responsible riding in mind. Any attempt to discuss riding was met with shouts of hostility. We heard tales of trespassing, noise pollution, and agressive riding.

I'm just one guy, but its obvious that our actions on the trails effects everyone. Bytown is trying, but it's up to all of us to change these scary attitudes towards riders. Numbers matter. Show up.

G