Trails closed

skidoorules

The oftr is blitzing my email account with email about all trails still being closed and to stay off crown land. Not that I'm desperate to ride, nor have I even started my bike but Is calabogie a monitored trail system that we should worry about or is the main concern areas like limeric forest where they officially open and close trails? Ken is doing a great job advising the members

smokin

OK, here is my take on riding during the spring thaw period. Certain trails and trail segments are dry enough for riding before others. Any controlled area such as the Limerick requires essentially all trails to be in more or less the same state before any of them can be ridden. That call must be in the hands of individuals responsible for the particular area. Those responsible will take several factors into account: past experience, current conditions, expected opening traffic, etc. Therefore as a rider and a BMA director I would not ride any controlled area without management OK.

Calabogie crown land--to my knowledge--is not under direct and active supervision. I therefore assume riding there always falls under individual good stewardship directives. Always means during the whole year and not just spring thaw. I was riding Calabogie last Sunday, March 25th--a full month before I would typically think of riding Calabogie! Was I practicing good stewardship? I believe so and here is why. I was out with one other person (never ride alone). We rode an area of Calabogie--M&M corridor--that experience told me would have some of the driest trail in the area. If we found a soft area we rode around it or where careful to have minimal impact--no looking for mud bogs. We cleared some trail hazards we came across and we picked up some accumulated winter garbage. In other words, we where not only riding for ourselves we where practicing good stewardship for all crown land users. That is what the BMA asks of all members all the time.

fmcd

I rode my 300 two laps today here at the Chicken Ranch, 10 km per lap and conditions were perfect. Had to ride by myself 'cause it's too far for you folks to come join me. Oh, well ...

Safe riding,

Francis

SRioux

Shawville... now that's close to Gatineau, right? Looks like an interesting place to ride from what I've seen in previous videos!

fmcd

SRioux":mci4ca3j said:
Shawville... now that's close to Gatineau, right? Looks like an interesting place to ride from what I've seen in previous videos!

Steve,

Depending on your location likely half hour drive. give it a try, nothing wrong with having several riding area options these days. 10 minutes past Quyon, paved road to the laneway. Near Sand Bay.

Francis