Trail riding old folks??

fmcd

Any 60-plus trail riders making excursions to Calabogie and open to another old guy joining on? Also have about 8km of trail here near Shawville QC worth talking about. Pretty easy terrain and no rock (!)

F McDermott

You might as well be talking to the entire BMA!! LOL

There are plenty of "well-seasoned" riders in the BMA - you should attend the Boogie this weekend and you'll meet plenty! Calabogie 101 ride (already over) would be a good one for you, a great intro to Calabogie area and designed for people new to the area... Keep an eye out for it next season...

fmcd

Scotiadallas,

Over 60 is impressive, considering the knees and hips y'know...

I'm not lost around Calabogie partly because I've treemarked for forestry on Crown lands all through that area to Flower Sta. and around Cononto and on up. Haven't ridden BMA trails specifically and that's the intro. I'd particularly enjoy. I'm guessing a few riders make their own specific plans to ride chosen sections out that way and that's where I hoped to hook up. Riding with two or three might well be better than my serving as yet another rolling pylon, after all.

Thanks for the thoughts young feller,

Francis

Hi Francais,

Lots of guys ride Calabogie and Limerick Forest and you would no doubt enjoy riding with a group of BMA people. My bike is on the fritz but keep an eye out for post here or attend one of the upcoming events. Drop by the Chili run as it's a new BMA event and I'm sure there will be lots of folks attending. I know for a fact some of my "seasoned" riding buddies are attending.

Come out to an event, introduce yourself and there will be lots to see and talk about!

Make sure you get the newsletter! Send an email to me at:

offroad.newsletter@gmail.com and I'll put you on the mailing list... I can send you some older newsletters so you'll see what we're all about.

Tks,
Dallas

fmcd

Thanks Dallas,

Further to discussion above -- how would I guage possible interest in anyone driving 45 minutes from Ottawa towards Renfrew but on QC side to ride a grass track with several ravine sections consisting of near 8 km? Woody came up for a ride a few years ago and I will try to reach him for his comments regarding this loop. Wondering how to develop a certain level of trail usage to reduce maintenance of this practice track. Some of the ravine sections are pretty bad when wet since it's mostly all blue clay.

Lemme know.

Fran

Stephanie

Fran! Nice to see you on here. I'm a newbie to this off road thing myself but I'm keen to get going on my spanking new KLX250S that I bought earlier this year. Now that Mike has his new-to-him DR650 we hope to spend a lot of time in the Calabogie area now that the bug season is over.

I traded that TT600 in for the little Kawi, I can manage to scare myself quite nicely on the trails and its a lot cheaper than track days. Anyway, Welcome! :D 8)

Stephanie

fmcd

Hey Stephanie!

Thanks for the update and good stuff -- your trailie choice sounds about perfect and Calabogie trails go about everywhere. That itself is an issue unless there are trail markers or GPS shape files available.

Mike must be scary on the DR at speed in tight trails, let's ask him to lead.

Might be fun to hook up and do a trail ride together and see if we could intrest a few others for the fun of it. Keep me/us posted and we'll see how the logistics shake out.

Recreational trail riding is good stuff.

Fran

EmmBeeDee

fmcd":3lnbd25e said:
...Mike must be scary on the DR at speed in tight trails, let's ask him to lead.

Only to himself, Fran. :)

fmcd":3lnbd25e said:
Might be fun to hook up and do a trail ride together and see if we could intrest a few others for the fun of it. Keep me/us posted and we'll see how the logistics shake out.

To tell you the truth, I only just bought this DR650 yesterday, after having spotted it beside the road in Perth. The bike's actually in for a Safety Check to be done tomorrow, in Ottawa. I've ridden it for about 5 minutes so far, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

We should do a trail ride sometime! What are you riding? A 450 Ducati Desmo Scrambler? ;) I rode one once, at Shannonville in the pits. Awesome bike, but I'm glad there are more appropriate and expendable bikes out now.

Stephanie

fmcd":3hk4daqv said:

If all goes well with the safety check then we'll be out on the weekend if the weather cooperates. I'm hoping to at least go down and up the K&P this weekend, its been a couple of years since I've done the whole length. We'd be trailering the bikes up there - the seat on the 250 is only slightly more comfortable than the one on my silver bullet.

TTYL!

fmcd

Hey Mike,

You'll have fun with the dualsport and all will be contingent on tire choice, I venture to guess.

As for me, I've been riding a KTM 400 SX with sensible mods (suspension and engine reliability) for a number of years but am discussing a '06 300 XC-W (2-stroke) that I'm keen on. Rode an earlier version some time ago and loved the device mightily. Lighter than the RFS models with equal torque and ease of ride. Not sure of fuel mileage for longer trail rides like Calabogie but the big strokers are too much fun.

Also have a KLX 250 here but it's a '79 twin-shocker and I hurt myself crashing it way more than on the KTM. The KLX is all original and the tires are about 15-20 years old, could that have anything to do with it?

Keep us posted, maybe we can hook up with some folks for a ride if the rain stops. OK, just saw Stephanie's update -- Sunday or Monday are the only dry days per the current forecast around this weekend.

Fran

Hi Fran,

If you're interested in getting people to ride the 8km loop I would create a post with the standing offer to ride. I bet if you do a good job describing the loop you'll get some takers. If it's a bit tricky you'll certainly attract some people!

Dallas

EmmBeeDee

fmcd":123lvj9e said:
Hey Mike,

You'll have fun with the dualsport and all will be contingent on tire choice, I venture to guess.

Keep us posted, maybe we can hook up with some folks for a ride if the rain stops. OK, just saw Stephanie's update -- Sunday or Monday are the only dry days per the current forecast around this weekend.

Fran

Well the big DR passed the safety check, and it's been out three or four times now in the Marlborough forest. It's a blast to ride. Gearing needs work, mind you. Gotta get a smaller front sprocket as it's pretty much set up for road use right now.

greybeard

I fit into the"old folks" category. Has been some time since I logged in so missed the Calabogie effort. Would be interested in a ride near Shawville if something gets organized, recognizing that all the leaves are gone now and season is soon coming to a close. Bill

fmcd

Bill,

If I can manage to get organised I'll post an approximation of the home trail layout for perusal. If I manage to somehow get too organised I'll borrow a helmet cam and post a video link for the best sense of trail condition and overall quality. Lots of clay, though and with wet weather the steep ravine slopes are making tree-huggers out of us all. Given two or three drier days and it's good to go. We hope to get a ride plan up and running before the snow and any possible input regarding timing might help. I mean, weekends only or stuff like that.

Talk later,

Fran