Tires???

JPultz

Hey all, just wondering what everyone smashing through the bogie is using for tires?
What have you tried that was no good?
What have you found is the best bang for your buck?

Last year I tried Bridgestone M-403/404 intermediate tires and although they worked really well the didn't hold up well. I kinda knew they wouldn't but I got a good deal from a buddy. This year coming I'll be trying the Dunlop Geomax AT81. And would also like to try the Bridgestone Battlecross x40.

So what are your thoughts??
If you're reading this forum you likely have a dirtbike and if you have a dirtbike you likely have 2 tires on it so no reason not to chime in. :D
Jon

zedro

AT81 RC 110/100-18 on the rear using tubliss, 0 to 6 psi depending on the ride. It hooked up on rocks and roots extremely well this year until conditions got slicker, but everyone has those issues and its still pretty solid now. Using the taller profile, RC model with lower pressure tubliss seems to be the good combo, other boards seem to be less enthusiastic with the other setups. I'll probably keep this setup unless imtry Golden tires.

XC12 soft in the front (might be the OEM tire). Pretty happy with it until now, the side knobs seem to be weakened and does hold corners that well but tracking is still really good. I'll probably switch out next season, not sure to what (Golden tyre fatty 416 if possible to find one).

bohomoto

Bridgestone M59 is the standard by which to judge all front tires for rock & roots.

Pirelli MT16 is a good all-round rear tire, soft enough for rocks and roots, keeps its tread for more than one ride.

I didn't invent this tire combo. It has been the go-to combination for New England Enduro racers for some time. It is possible to find better tires, but not without increasing the cost (i.e. Golden). I have been using this tire combination for the last two seasons. Its helped me stand on the podium at the Corduroy Enduro twice. The Cord and the Boogie are very similar in terms of terrain.

Before that, I have the Dunlop AT81. They were also not bad but I prefer the M59/MT16 combo.

Before the AT81, I tried the Pirelli MT 43 trials tire. Didn't work for me. While it provides better traction on rocks and roots, it's useless in the loam and mud. Although climbs are typically rocks and roots, approaches are often loamy and loose. I found the bike unstable and difficult to accelerate quickly, so went back to a knobby.

I'm going to switch things up this coming season, mainly by using the Tubliss. I've been running all my tires at around 12-15 PSI with the 4mm inner tubes; I will run significantly less pressure with the Tubliss.

Might try the AT81 RC model with the Tubliss, as Zedro suggested.

There are a few BMA members who love the new Kenda Equilibrium. Horrible wear characteristics but animalistic traction. Might give it a try but I suspect I'll have the same issues that came with the MT43 trials tire. No stability in the loose stuff for a small bore two-smoker and a rider with a bad case of TTS (throttle tourette syndrome).

Jessie

Zedro and Blake,
Thanks for your info. When my tires will be done, I will try one of your suggestions with "Nuetech Tubliss".

Skyllz

bohomoto":6x4ppqe7 said:
Bridgestone M59 is the standard by which to judge all front tires for rock & roots.

Pirelli MT16 is a good all-round rear tire, soft enough for rocks and roots, keeps its tread for more than one ride.

I didn't invent this tire combo. It has been the go-to combination for New England Enduro racers for some time.

Debating this well known combo OR a MT16 and a Equilibrium with my tubliss in the garage now.

My oem AT81f front started chunking/cracking really bad this week-end at Limerick, causing some hairy situations, kinda weird. The side knobs are still good but the rubber is cracking at the base, up to half an inch on each side in the tires on a number of knobs, making those rather flexible and giving no grip at all.

bohomoto

Debating this well known combo OR a MT16 and a Equilibrium with my tubliss in the garage now.

Both the MT16 and the Equilibrium are rear wheel tires. You could go with the M59 and the Equilibrium... That would be good for Calabogie... The Equilibrium would be wasted on Limerick, though. What's your home trail like?

My oem AT81f front started chunking/cracking really bad this week-end at Limerick, causing some hairy situations, kinda weird.

Weird?! Your OEM tire!? I think its weird that you got an entire season out of a tire before it started chunking. Three front tires per season is a stretch for me. You rode lots this season Skyllz. If you ride nearly as much next season, you should swap a new set at that halfway point. Its especially important to keep your front tire sharp. You can afford to ride with a chewed up rear tire (with your new DIY tugger straps). Your friends can help pull your bike up the hill but they can't stop your front from washing out ;-)

Skyllz

Oops, mixed up the tire numbers... may have had a beer or 2 last night.

M59 front and Equilibrium rear indeed.. Trails around my place are somewhat rocky, closer to Bogie than Limerick. I do ride Limerick alot.

As for my AT81 front... :lol: The knobs are still looking ok, edges are rounded off obviously but cant say it was an issue until I had those close calls this week-end. I'll take pics tonight. That's what I meant by "weird".

I'm just happy I did a whole season with next to no maintenance on the 250 other than a good cleaning and some chain lube. This winter will be a full teardown, check/regrease everything I can put my hands on without opening the motor(suspension, steering stem, starter, etc..) and hope for another good season :)

bohomoto

Do you recommend the 110 or 120 width for the MT-16?

To be honest, I have not experimented with different tire widths (or aspect ratios, for that matter) because my bike is only a 200 and it came stock with relatively narrow tires. I always run the narrowest MT16, the 110, which is still 10mm wider than the tires that were stock on the bike. If you are unsure, I would stay as close to the width of the tires that came stock with your bike.

If I had to guess, the advantages of a wider tire is better rim protection, larger contact patch, tractor-like handling, probably better in sand, could go wither way in mud .

The advantages of a narrower tire is lighter, more responsive power delivery, maybe less likely to pinch flat...

Anyone else more informed about this than me?

I found that a narrower tire will make the handling feel lighter/bike turns easier. Not sure if this due to the tire profile, or lighter weight.

Jessie

Thanks for the great info guy's!
Do you buy the tires on the web or local in Ottawa area, if local where? (Motorcycle Superstore have them at $85.72/Bridgestone M-59 and $79.99/Pirelli MT-16). Looks like a good deal but need to add up the exchange dollar USA/Canada + freight + sometime duty fees.
Do you agree with the tire pressure suggested by others:
MT-16 at 7-8 PSI/Tubliss
M-59 at 8-9 PSI/Tubliss
Sedona 907 at 3 PSI/Tubliss

Skyllz

I just decided to go against the grain(as usual...) and picked up a set of Bridgestones X30. Been reading good reviews of them with Tubliss also. If it works good, if it does not, meh, not worried, they will wear down and i'll try something else!

And as much as I try to support local... for 210$ delivered to my door, not worth driving 30 minutes to a shop, paying for them, waiting that they receive it, going again to pick them up... time is expensive, so is gas in my truck.

JPultz

Jessie":e9conwor said:
Thanks for the great info guy's!
Do you buy the tires on the web or local in Ottawa area, if local where? (Motorcycle Superstore have them at $85.72/Bridgestone M-59 and $79.99/Pirelli MT-16). Looks like a good deal but need to add up the exchange dollar USA/Canada + freight + sometime duty fees.
Do you agree with the tire pressure suggested by others:
MT-16 at 7-8 PSI/Tubliss
M-59 at 8-9 PSI/Tubliss
Sedona 907 at 3 PSI/Tubliss
Those prices don't look to appealing to me once you factor in the additional costs.
Try Gnarly Parts in BC, you only have to pay 5% tax and shipping is free after $100. Also right now they have 10% off for christmas. If you don't see what you want call them, they can likely get it. If you live in the city you could shop around there but its hard to beat online prices if you live outside the city like myself.

Skyllz, I think those x30's will be sweet! Lots of good reviews. I may be bugging you for a review next year. I was undecided about the x30 or x40.
Jon

zedro

bohomoto":242863iy said:
Might try the AT81 RC model with the Tubliss, as Zedro suggested.

I've ridden that same tire all season. I thought it would be horrible last weekend considering the wear but it totally felt upto par in the slick gunk. It is a heavier tire tho, not sure how it compares. I'd like to try the M59 fronts but my online shops don't have them. Think I'm going with Washougal 2s or M12xc's next year.

I'm subscribing to tall and narrow rear tires and low pressures. You can air down and get the same footprint but with the added plieability.

JPultz

Skyllz":3llx9pa9 said:
I just decided to go against the grain(as usual...) and picked up a set of Bridgestones X30. Been reading good reviews of them with Tubliss also. If it works good, if it does not, meh, not worried, they will wear down and i'll try something else!

And as much as I try to support local... for 210$ delivered to my door, not worth driving 30 minutes to a shop, paying for them, waiting that they receive it, going again to pick them up... time is expensive, so is gas in my truck.
How are the x30's? I'm in need of new sneakers and will likely be going with Bridgestone.

Jessie

GMP who rides area's similar to Calabogie in USA praise the Shinko 505 Hybrid Cheater:

I promised Gary (Knoxenduro) a review on the Shinko 505 hybrid in my terrain and I finally had the chance to mount and ride it so here goes. I got the 120, it sat for a long time and looked a little large and felt heavy but man is it tall when mounted, looks too tall and almost gets into the mudflap. Taller than a TT. I run Tubliss and the tire mounted and sealed easily first time, no issues. Its super sticky with a thick but medium sidewall, so fine with a tube as well. Started @ 7.5 PSI. Before I get anywhere with dirt, I have a long rocky climb with switchbacks and several large smooth slabs. This tire is like a D803 TT on rocks, its amazing. Better than the MT43 TT. I had to be carefull as the bike wanted to wheelie with total hookup. Once in the dirt the bike was almost oversteering. I dropped the preload(easy with my XTrig, thanks Steve!) for approx 105 mm sag to make up for the tall tire and it was fine with the added bonus of a plusher ride. On perfect dirt sections, it hooks up great, and while it will release quicker than a knobby, its very linear unlike a TT or a Sedona(unpredictable) that it replaced. Braking is fine. On some steep dirt/rock hills it was incredible, I could stop/start at will. Some short mud sections proved no issue, but no loose muddy hills to test on. Wet, muddy rocks in low sections seemed dry. Only drawback was a loose, sandy/gravel powerline hill, where it would spin up under the power of the 300 if I got too happy, and on some leaves. On my favorite ST littered with large rocks and skinned logs it was awesome and with the tall sidewall I could hit anything hard without fear. With the short stiff sidewall Sedona I added two small dings to my rear rim on these trails. I ended up riding longer than I planned because the tire worked so well, and I never even played with pressure.

So, for me, this is the best tire yet for my local trail, but this is a very rough place that destroys normal knobbys. I think I bought my last TT, and last Sedona as well. My brother ran a 505 with a tube and two rimlocks and it was fine unlike a Sedona or AT81RC that needs Tubliss. He also looped his 300RR from hookup he didn't expect! Its like a TT with more cornering scope, better braking, and MUCH more durable sidewall. I think it will last OK if you ride it more like a TT and don't spin it up constantly. I have a feeling it will still work well when worn, at least on rock, because its so sticky. Its way cheaper than the Golden Tire my buddy destroyed in a single ride too. I would still run an MT16 in a race if it was more dirt than rock but there are a couple courses in PA I would run this tire without question. Maybe not a tire for general use, but certainly an excellent technical rock tire.

Here is the link: http://www.betarider.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1296

Skyllz

JPultz":32bzgqzu said:
How are the x30's? I'm in need of new sneakers and will likely be going with Bridgestone.

I rode them for a couple rides before I sold my 250 this spring. Most of the time it was not dry as heck like it is right now but I could not fault them on anything. Tons of traction at Limerick in sand, roots and over the little "rock walls". Never felt like I lost the bike "because of the tires".

I'd buy again if the opportunity arises.