Tire Recommendation

dschultz

Administrator
Hi:
I tried to search this topic in the forums to see if it had already been asked, but the search feature seems to be broken (maybe Doug can poke the webmaster to fix it ;-) ).

Anyway, its time for new tires for my bike (2-stroke) and I was wondering what people are using for riding the varying conditions of Limerick and Calabogie areas. When I was at Allan's riding school out at Woody's I noticed he was using Maxxis but I didn't catch the model.
http://www.maxxis.com/products/motorcycle/product_thumbnails_subcategory.asp?id=17&catname=Off-Road

I've been using Dunlop exclusively, first the 755 series but when they were discontinued I switched to the 756 which seem to wear relatively fast in the rocks, roots and ruts of our favorite riding areas.

Dale

madrob

Ah tires! It seems like everytime I find a favorit they either discontinue it or change the compound.

I've got a Michelin M12 front and S12 rear right now and I like how they work. My only issue is that the new tires made in Thialand don't seem to be holding up. My front is made in Thailand and the rear Spain. I put them on at the same time and the front is chunking but the rear is fine. I've never chunked a front before the rear before. Even with the chunking both ends are working really well in a variety of terrain.

I used to run the Pirrelli MT32 rear and MT44 front until they discontinued them. They worked really well and were less money than the Michelin. They now have the XCMS front and rear which are based on those two tires and look identical. I'm going to try a set next.

Good luck in your quest!

Rob

sdagenais

I ride Maxxis IT front and SI rear for juste riding around, But I ride on Michelin s12 front/rear when I race. Michelin switch to Thailand for production and it seems that a certain batch is made with a weaker/cheaper compound than Spain. The guys on "ktmtalk.com" have a few posts about this.
For the Maxxis, I find that they don't wear out as fast and have good grip throughout they're use in either wet/dry conditions. I just put the front Maxxis on and love it, almost just as much as my Michelin. I find that tires are like bikes, you need to try a few to find what best suits your drivning habits.

ACorbett

With regards to the search feature it has been mentioned to the web admin with little success on getting it fixed. I will send him another email to ask again. Wish me luck.

Andrea

Bamster

I ride Maxxis IT front and SI rear

You got that backwards.

The SI works better in the front than the IT and the IT will last longer in the rear.