Tire recommendation needed

Marilius

Hey All,
So I've been reading all morning about tire recommendations and I'm more confused than when I started lol…
I'm looking for a tire combo (Front and Rear) that would be best for Calabogie trail riding. I do about very thing out there (Trail only), so I guess I'm looking for a good all-round tire combo for that area.
If I have to buy a set for Spring/Fall and one for summer I'm fine with that just let me know.

I have a Honda 2017 230f
Front Tire 80/100-21
Rear Tire 100/100-18

Also if you know any good places to buy them that would help a lot. Right now I buy most of my stuff from fortnine.

Thanks

"Edit", I'm also confused about tire size, I read in the forums that the Kenda K787 Equilibrium are good but they only come in 4.50-18 and 120/80-19. for the 120/80-19 i would have to buy new rims "I think" but i have no clue about the other size.

pat74

The Kenda Equilibrium or Kenda Ibex are very sticky tire that will work extremely well in Calabogie.
Though you have a Honda 230, which I'm not sure will like those tires.
Those tires are 18 inch and will fit on your bike though they are big tires for your engine I believe.

Aube

I've had the pleasure of running the Kenda Ibex and it was a fantastic tire for trails where you want/need additional traction, I was even surprised when it hooked up in places where I expected it to spin.

The 4.50 Equilibrium should be close to a 120/90 from what I can see in a conversion chart. Like Pat mentioned, this might be a little too wide/tall for a 230. I had a quick look online and it looks as though anything above a 110 might rub somewhere on the swingarm.

Marty

You can get the Pirelli MT16 Garacross Intermediate Terrain in 110/100 18. It's a good rear tire for Calabogie. It's a narrow tire for it's size. But I can't comment on whether it'll fit your bike or not.

The Michelin StarCross 5 Medium Terrain Front Tire is a good front tire for Calabogie and comes in 80/100-21.

gman

KevinAnderson":1eg9zosx said:
You can get the Pirelli MT16 Garacross Intermediate Terrain in 110/100 18. It's a good rear tire for Calabogie. It's a narrow tire for it's size. But I can't comment on whether it'll fit your bike or not.

The Michelin StarCross 5 Medium Terrain Front Tire is a good front tire for Calabogie and comes in 80/100-21.

+1 on the MT16 Garacross from Pirelli. Good, all-around tire and most of our Sponsor Vendors carry them. The Front (Pirelli) is also not bad. The StarCross 5 Medium Kevin quoted or the Maxxis IT series are also good options.

Run the stock tires you have until they wear out... Better to run more gas through the tank and have fun vs worrying too much about Tire choice.

Regardless of what you run for tires... We generally recommend heavy-duty (or Ultra-Heavy Duty) tubes at ~15lbs pressure min for the front and ~12-15 for the rear. Maybe a few more pounds if you are running light-duty tubes. Lots of rocks out there that make you prone to pinch flats.

You'll get as many opinions on tires as there are tires. Try a few of these... See what you like. Ask others what they are using/like. That's how I settled on the MT16's. Still haven't found that "ideal" front tire for my liking.

Marilius

Thanks guys for all the info,

I'm going to try out Kevin's combo that he listed out and go from there, after the stock ones wear out.

Good call on the Tubes Gman. I'll have to look into them for sure.

longzook

I like the equilibrium as well but any road riding will blow them off quick i got about 600km out of the one on my xr mixed trail and gravel. i'm running a shinko 505 cheater at 5psi now on my other bike its awesome in the rocks and calabogie type trails but not dot approved