Tip: KTM 2-Stroke Exhaust Springs

Gord

May or may not apply to other models, definitely applies to my 2023 250 XC. When re-installing exhaust pipe:
  1. do not bump one or both exhaust springs off cylinder
  2. if you ignore 1, do not continue mounting exhaust. Take it off, re-install spring, try again
Last night, I ignored 1 since first time with exhaust off this bike and I didn't know to be careful

I deliberately ignored 2. My "just in time" wrenching strategy, the night before a ride, meant it was already getting late for a test run of motor. So I finished putting bike together, with intent to install spring after the test run.

20 minutes of frustration and I gave up. I figured I would try again in the morning, and ride with a single spring (only bumped one off) if I had to...

The problem is the swivel hook at each end, and the limited space to fish it into the hole. Tried with my fingers, tried with needle nose pliers, dug out a shop light to see the tiny target better, dug out my triangle stand so I could lean bike to right to get a bit better access. Struck out.

I must have been processing the problem as I slept. Over breakfast, I had an idea, and it worked - a bit of painter's tape temporarily eliminates the swivel that caused grief.

spring.jpg