Tekvest

scott1

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Tekvest. I've heard from a few people so far how awesome they are. Last months newsletter had a great posting about the vest. And I heard from Dallas about the vest too (Thank you Dallas)

Anyone have any feedback to share? good / bad / other??
Are there a lot of people using these vest who ride with the BMA?
Do you own a Tekvest? if so what model?

Thanks.

Gord

Dallas has been testing his for the last month and has a report in the current newsletter. The same article has comments from long-time user Larry Murray. Larry and Dallas have offered test rides of the vest. This current newsletter also has an ad from TekVest offering a 15% discount to members.

ktmkevin

I have been wearing tekvests for many years now as continued rib injuries threatened my less than stellar riding career. Yes, they are kind of pricey but, as you may have noticed in the newsletter, BMA members are eligible for a discount. And no, they are no hotter than a standard roost protector if you let the side straps out a bit and leave the front zipper down some. The bottom line is that a tekvest is the ultimate in torso protection and I have proved that point, at least to my self, many times over. I got another real good demonstration again yesterday while trying to keep up on one of Calabogie's gnarlier offerings. An awkward rock/root combination sent my front wheel, and then the rest of the bike, flopping to the right. I went left and, more or less, landing on my hands and knees. No biggie as it was a low speed ejection BUT hidden in the grass and weeds was a fairly large and tall stump that caught me in the chest/rib area; didn't know it was there until I felt the impact. As I picked myself up, without injury, I realized that the tekvest had saved me again as I am SURE that a standard chest protector would have left me banged and bruised. So there you have it; a testimonial from a believer. I guess you just have to decide for yourself what level of protection you want. BTW in a world full of $600 boots and helmets I don't find the price of a tekvest too unreasonable; I wore the base model for many years and was quite happy with it.

scott1

Thanks Kevin,

I'm still on the mend from my fall that left me with two broken ribs at the end of June. I've asked Dallas if I can try out the vest before I buy one.

safe riding!

Scott.

scott1

Dallas let me borrow the trial tekvest. I've had it on one ride for just over 3 hours. No problem with heat and very comfortable. I actually feel the protection wrapped around my ribs.

No if my wife will get over the price tag and get on board with me buying one that will be the next test :oops: It might have to be one of those unannounced purchases :twisted:

I'm going for a ride on the K&P trail with it on tomorrow. I should be starting the trail at the Golf Course and going right to the end and back, just to get back into riding again. If anyone is heading out on the trail I should be on it around 10:00am or 10:30am leaving from the golf course.

Scott.

scott1

I just returned from my ride on the K&P trail. I started at the GC and ended near Wilbur. Due to time constraints I turned around to head back. About 2 hours on the trail with the Tekvest on. Feeling great, and added warmth for the 13 degrees it was this morning at 10:00am.

scott1

Hi, Tekvest on a very hot day!

I just visited LIMERICK FOREST after driving in from Barrhaven. Very warm day today! I had the vest opened a bit to let more air in and there was no problems with air flow after that.

I hope to get back out to Calabogie sometime in the next few days for more riding.

Scott.