Strickland and Woody's Xc

skidoorules

Stickland and Woody's Offroad Ontario cross country events are back this year on the August long weekend. Last year I didn't hardly see any bma members in attendance. That was shameful. Let's not let that happen again. Poor attendance by the toronto crowd makes it hard for organizers to make money putting on these events so the local eastern Ontario contingent need to support these guys. Search Strickland Xc or woody's Xc for video of the terrain. They are great races. Entry fees are generally $50 per day. Offroad Ontario annual membership is $25 +\- where can you get more smiles per gallon. I was hooked after one race!!! There are classes for everyone. Even for those who only race the enduro series, come check out a Xc event without having to drive 4-6 hours to get there. What have you got to lose?

JPultz

I'm planning to do these races this year. Definitely 1, hopefully 2. Also looking to get riding before hand with some of you fellas that are already racing. I'd love to set up some loops and do some practice races with a few guys that also have racing on their minds. And pick your brains about the different classes as I'm not really sure what class to enter.
Who else is planning to do a few races this year???
Jon

pat74

I will be scheduling weekly training with a few BMA guys.
We setup a loop, race it for 2 + hours, twice a week.
Any level welcomed, will be at different locations, Larose, limerick, calabogie etc..

We have a few pretty dedicated racer coming with us every week.

Nothing better then time on your bike to get increase your skill level.

skidoorules

I'm interested. Who is the racer or at least what level. My small practice group are mid level expert to low level pro in off-road Ontario classes.

pat74

Right now we have confirmed

2 x Novice C
1 x Novice B
1 x Novice A
2 x Intermediate
1 x Pro

I won't give you name, come to the training session to meet them :eek:

Bring your group, the more the better.

mlevesqu

Pat,

I'm likely in for a mid-week beating this year. I plan to try and ride mid-week since I no longer have significant travel in my calendar for work presently...

Marc

mlevesqu

so... Weekday riding will be after work for me. Can't manage all day that often, maybe once in a while.

Racing events is likely a low possibility. We'll see...

Marc

zedro

Considering trying a couple races maybe (novice C of course). Definitely looking forward to training sessions at Larose, the distance is manageable for after work riding. Gotta get in shape, I hate running out of gas before the bike does!

pat74

I would recommend for winter training, that at lease you are able to maintain an extensive exercise (running, spinning bike, etc..) For at least 2 hours none stop, an XC race is 2h having the stamina to sustain any intense exercise for 2h will definitely help.

Blake might have more recommendation for training, I'm in no way an expert in training, I talk just from experience.

bohomoto

I would recommend doing something you enjoy. Skating, skiing, judo, whatever. Personally, I find spinning, treadmills and row machines really un-enjoyable. If that's what it took to be a racer, I wouldn't bother racing.

I also think that training for injury prevention is way more important than training for stamina. Stamina will help you ride for 2 hours, injury prevention will keep you riding for life.

The problem is that training for injury prevention requires a little more planning and know-how. If you want to do your own programming, I would recommend the following two books:

Becoming a Supple Leopard, by Kelly Starrett: http://www.amazon.ca/Becoming-Supple-Le ... le+leopard

The New Rules of Lifting for Life, by Schuler and Cosgrove http://www.amazon.ca/The-Rules-Lifting- ... T6WZFBESXM

I gave up on doing my own programming because its much too time-consuming to do it properly. I ended up doing the same exercises over and over, which is more likely to cause injuries than to prevent them.

The gym that I'm going to now is developing a program specifically for motorcycle riders that want to train at home. If you are interested, send me an email and I can make the necessary introductions. Besides joining a gym that specializes in movement training (rather than body building or strength training), this would be your best option.

Blake
bohomoto 'at' gmail.com

P.S. I wrote a blog article about gym-based training for motorcycle riders, which you can access here: http://www.humantwopointzero.com/gym-tr ... -the-flow/

zedro

Ha, yeah I thought he was joking. You can get away with overtraining in your 20s, but it seems the current knowledge is almost the total opposite.

bohomoto

zedro":lwkfp5zd said:
Ha, yeah I thought he was joking.

Oh good! I thought I might be the only one. This line below is the giveaway that this whole article might be a joke:

“Squats for your lower back are really important,” Walker says. "You need a lot of back strength in Hard Enduro, because you’re bent over all the time on the bike."

In other words, make sure that when you do squats, your lower back hurts as though you have been hunched over a dirtbike for several hours. That's the ticket! LOL.

You can get away with overtraining in your 20s, but it seems the current knowledge is almost the total opposite.

Ya. There is consensus that over-training is always bad, even when you seem to be getting away with it. The Holy Grail of sports training is injury prevention. If the trainer of an NFL team can reduce injury rates by even 10%, they are saving the team literally millions of dollars.

Many of the banned substances don't actually improve performance per se, they only improve recovery, which improves performance indirectly (by allowing the athlete to keep training without interruptions, to be more experimental in their training, etc.)

Its funny that this article is published by Red Bull because they are investing more money in the science and development of "prehabilitative training" then anyone. Danny MacAskill couldn't make them amazing biking videos when he was laid up with a sore back. https://youtu.be/GL0rbxB9Lqg

A friend of a friend of a friend who works at Red Bull says that the company is now refusing to sign athletes that don't incorporate movement training into their daily routine.

I find it pleasantly ironic that the training regimens of the future's most extreme athletes have the same objective as the training regimens of middle-age desk jockeys that transform into warriors every weekend: living without pain.

zedro

Less pleasantly ironic is their drink product is basically junk food. Caffeine + sugar = vasoconstriction and inflammation....RedBull gives you arm pump! Heard that post workout glucose intake can be counterproductive too. I hope those athletes are allowed canned water versions.

pat74

Look they posted the training on the Offroad Ontario site:
http://offroadontario.ca/blog/?cat=3

This year will be a good season for us BMA members, they all going to train like Walker and we will all train like Macmillan,
we got the edge 8)

Blake you should have your training posted on Offroad Ontario website would be better then Walker's training, we need to give them a chance.

You should write up an example of a training schedule, which includes all aspect we should be training...

skidoorules

pat74":t2bzzxsi said:
Right now we have confirmed

2 x Novice C
1 x Novice B
1 x Novice A
2 x Intermediate
1 x Pro

I won't give you name, come to the training session to meet them :eek:

Bring your group, the more the better.

How are you promoting the time and location of each weeks ride? Likely can't commit to every week but if I was aware of the location I might see if I can meet up with you guys for some training.