Snow Bike Kit

slowe1

Has anyone bought a Snow Bike kit yet? Any advice for platforms or dealers in the area? I'm seriously considering one for my 250 XC-W. I know that they are more suited to a big 4-Stroke in the deep powder but from what I've seen on YouTube they seem to go pretty great. Looks like a blast.

zedro

I would think the 250 wouldnt have enough power, especially in xcw spec, although transplants to 300 kits are easy enough. I have a 250xc and wouldn't consider it enough.

I have had luck to ride a 350 4t, 500 4t and a 300 2t with various kits during a demo with Adam Yantha. Big boar is great as Zedro indicated. The 250 may be a little under powered (no offense but, you will be on the pipe a ton!) The 500 was great! (Not because I own one!)
Shorter track length for our riding (Ontario) area is better (IMO) as the long track is noticeably difficult to turn on shallow or hard snow pack. The Timbersled vs. Yeti... I would buy the Timbersled.
The kits really come to life in 12" of untouched snow.
Give some thought to calling around to various dealers to get some feedback on your bike with a kit is my suggestion to you!
C

slowe1

Great feedback guys. I should have been looking ahead when I bought my 250. My last bike was a 300 and I actually enjoy the 250 more in the single track (but it's not a significant difference). A new bike isn't in the cards right now so I'll need to think longer term. The 300 kit is a good idea except the bike is only 1 year old and doesn't have a lot of hours yet.
Thanks

Honestly, have you considered putting studs in your tires and riding single track through the winter? The track kits are great in deep snow. Your call! Just sayin'!
C

slowe1

I am looking at that. A few of us drove in the snow at Limerick yesterday and it was a blast even without studs.

jmajor

Another thing to consider is that you will be "stuck" using this on the dirt bike trails - the Ontario Snowmobile Federation Club (OSFC) does not recognize snow bikes as snowmobiles and are forbidden from riding on the 6000+ km of trails that are available!!!

Maybe soon they'll recognize the platform and allow it...

Jason