Sad News

pat74

It is with profound sadness that we announce the death of Blake MacMillan who passed away on Sunday, May 1st while off road motorcycling in the Calabogie Highlands.

Our deepest sympathy is with his wife, Margaux, and his family and friends. The BMA has reached out to Margaux to offer our support and condolences. Further details to follow.

Patrick Mercier on Behalf of Scott Wilson President, Bytown Motorcycle Association

Skyllz

Damn...

I'm bad with words.

We lost a good friend. Always smiling and there to help.

Sympathies to the family.

Jessie

My sincere sympathies to Margaux and the family and also to all of Blake's friends and co-riders.
Jessie Ghislain Lefebvre

skidoorules

As I sit here and read this, I’m in total shock to hear the exceptionally sad news that Blake has passed away. This one really seems to hit close to home with me. Fellow racer, same age, same club and riding the same area I ride. I really am speechless…First off, my deepest condolences to his wife Margaux who will have to find the tremendous strength and courage to move on from this great tragedy. How does one truly do this? Thank you to the BMA and friends who will support her as the days and week pass. Then there are those that were riding with him when he passed, something that will never be forgotten.

Then my mind wanders to “how could this have happened” and “what can we do to ensure this doesn’t happen to us?”. I do just about everything I can to protect myself: Good Quality helmet, chest protector, neck brace always on, googles, expensive boots, quality gear and jersey, stay in good shape, try and make smart decisions on the bike, etc… What else could Blake or any other rider in this situation could have done to protect themselves other than selling our bikes and living in bubble wrap the rest of our lives. What’s the fun in that? At the end of the day most of us ride because we love it…I don’t mean like it….I mean LOVE riding and the exhilaration it gives us when doing it. This is a risk we and our families ultimately accept everytime we suit up and throw a right leg over the seat and onto the kick starter in one fluid motion.

While there is no great way to leave this world, I’m sure Blake was having a hell of a great time in the hours and minutes leading up to his untimely passing and was surely better than wasting away in some hospital bed when he was 90 with Alzheimer’s. I would rather die doing what I love rather than live doing something I hate.

I’m sure Blake will be starting his own dirt biking club in heaven and I’m sure it will be top notch. God bless and fairwell fellow rider.

We have all lost a great friend who gave it his all to our sport and life in general. It is such a loss and so unfair. Blake made this world a better place. My deepest sympathies to Margaux and Blake's family.

Bann

My deepest sympathies to Margaux and to Blake's family and the BMA will do anything we can to help. We have all lost a good friend and a good man. To those who were riding with Blake that day - take care of yourselves in the aftermath of this tragedy.

zedro

Since I started riding real trails late 2014 thru 2015, I think the majority of my riding hours were with Blake in the lead, he really encouraged me to push through some tough rides and I feel I owe alot to him (and of course many other riders) in progressing and having some really awesome experiences. He had already asked me if I wanted to join him flagging the white trails for the Boogie...I kinda laughed thinking what a keener, already planning the season out. He was the kind of guy that seemed like you had known him for alot longer than you did, like the cool kid at school that was genuine and always great to be around (unlike my cranky ass sometimes). His friends and family must have been really lucky to have had him, and while that loss is obviously terrible, it's a huge shame that new members will never know what they are missing as well.

Lots more to say but just don't know how to say it...he'll always be there on the trails of Calabogie.

My best wishes to Margaux and all the families and friends.

RuffTrane

I lost an amazing friend. I was lucky to spend so much time with such a great buddy and I'm glad to have had so many good memories with him! Generous selfless guy! Huge heart!! Big loss to everyone that knew him! I'm going to miss him immensely!!
Drew