Railway bed from ottawa airport to Osgoode

SRioux

From Google Maps... when it crosses Rideau Rd.

It look's ridable... legal, I don't know? I can't read the sign from the image.

scott1

Thanks Steve,

I think the gate says it all. probably a multi-use leisure trail (no motor vehicles) :roll: . If anyone else knows more information please let me know. :| Thank you.

Doug

Administrator
There's a consultation process going on here right now with the City of Ottawa (regarding this as a rail trail proposal) with a couple meetings last month. Multi-use seems to be the intended direction...although specifics are TBD. There would be some re-surfacing, some signage and parking access. Snowmobile clubs have already obtained winter use permission while current ATV and other summer use has been unofficial.

From a bike perspectivive it's certainly ridable, if not particularly exciting!

joshafool

I'd be interesting in riding this.

Doug, when you say,
Doug":f7zzxi5s said:
ATV and other summer use has been unofficial.

Do you think that could mean we could get fined or that they simply would turn a blind eye?

If you decide to go let me know, I'm down.

Doug

Administrator
From Ottawa councillor Doug Thompson;
"Construction on the Multi-Use Pathway is expected to start in July with completion in October 2010. Our Committee has held three meetings to date and will have a full report that I will outline by the end of May. The Pathway Feasibility Study has been uploaded on my website. Please go to http://www.dougthompson.ca under Ward 20 Resources-Pathway."

scott1

Thanks Doug,

One more question. there seems to be some trails that are in and around the airport area. off of High rd. Are there any motorcyle restrictions that you or anyone knows about. I thought I would take a drive by this location today or tomorrow. I'm not sure if these trails link up with Del Zotto Ave?

Here is a map of the area to show what I'm talking about.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnea ... 5&t=h&z=16

thumpididump

No one I've spoken with seems to have a definite answer as to whether bikes are allowed or not. The consensus is "probably not" but no one seems to care. Motorcycles are probably tolerated as long as you're not racing around and pissing people off.

I tootled around in there a few weeks ago with a KLR rider. Several people with dogs (off leash) so be mindful. We ran into a few other bikes as well.

scott1

Thanks,

I took a look (on foot) last Sunday and it looks like a well used motorcycle trails from my view on the ground and looking at the site from Google Earth. I spoke with one rider who was driving around and he thinks the property is the airports however the same message; watch out for people /dogs and everyone should get along.

scott1

Hi, (update)

After getting sitting through the "short but windy rain storm" yesterday afternoon around 3pm I to my BRP into the track area. Not really interesting or fun with a big DS. This area is best suited for smaller "dirt" bikes for manoeuvrability (lots of sand) in my opinion. I did run across two dog walkers, so I turned off my bike, said hello, and waited for them to pass before starting back on the trails. There are signs saying private property and no trespassing within the area so nobody can say it’s not public land :wink:

Have a good long weekend!

KevinV

I was out there only once last year; there are a few trails through the bushes to the East of the sand pit.
Not overly challenging, but still fun. Can't rip through it due to the (already mentioned) foot traffic.
Fun place to rip around for an hour or so - on a lighter bike. The area is smaller that it would appear from the sat overhead.

Doug

Administrator
Details below from Ottawa (Osgoode Ward) Councillor Doug Thompson's newsletter.
It sounds like there will be further decisions on long term usage after the new surface is packed in...but this corridor never was and I suspect never will be of prime interest to bike users.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Multi-Use Pathway Steering Committee has recommended the following for the 21 kilometer Pathway.

Therefore be it resolved that the Ward 20 Multi-Use Pathway Committee makes the following recommendations to City Staff with respect to the Multi Use Recreational Pathway extending from Buckles Street to Leitrim Road.

That the Pathway be surfaced with limestone from Leitrim Road to Buckles Street. Vote 9 - 1

That suitable barriers be installed at each and all intersections along the Multi-Use Pathway to prevent access by motorized vehicles and that the barriers installed would not restrict snowmobiles. Vote 9 - 1

That the Snowmobile Club be permitted to continue its agreement with the City of Ottawa to groom the trail, use the trail for snowmobiling, provide winter maintenance and patrol the Pathways from November to March each year. (These dates are weather dependent.) Permission is subject to a review of this agreement and potential modifications by the Multi-Use Pathway Steering Committee.
Vote 9 - 1

That in response to City Staff recommendations, ATV's and motorized bikes are not allowed on the Multi-Use Pathways in 2011 and 2012 in order to allow the Pathway surface to settle. Vote 7 - 3

That horses not be allowed on the Multi-Use Pathway. Vote 9 - 0 (1 member absent)

That all dogs must be leashed on the Pathway. Vote 8 - 1 (1 member absent)