Practice loop opinions???

fmcd

Hi trailies,

Please have a watch of these two vids taken late last Fall at home on our practice trail and post some comments to help me determine how to scale this as compared to other closed-course trails. I'd like a sense of does it look appropriate for beginners, would it seem to be OK for a small group and is there possibly any interest in some visitor riders able to justify a drive up the Valley to near Shawville, QC (nr. Renfrew)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOA7oCVT ... er&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-b7SLZ ... er&list=UL

This was our first experience using a GoPro HD as well as doing editing/uploading so it's a bit choppy. There's a Part 2 to show most of the remaining lap although one small section already was missing from Part 1.

I appreciate any comments possible.

Thank you,

Fran

ktmkevin

Your trails definitely look novice friendly. Very fast and opened compared to our other ride areas. What caught my attention was those rough open fields; looks like a SUPER place to lay out an old style natural terrain G.P. Now THAT would create a ton of interest.

Beatty

What an awesome spot to ride.. Good job.

In my opinion. It would be a good beginner loop, but it would be a blast to ride. :mrgreen:

Ronzo

That looks like a fun loop, and beginner friendly. Excellent spot for KTM Kevin to learn to ride! Good quality video, nice work.

chiendesbois

Nice trails! Looks like fun! I like all the little bumps here and there... Great for all types of riders.
I'm near valleyfield, qc., approx. a 3h drive, so It's a bit far... I usually make it a 2 day thing when trails are that far... like Calabogie for instance...

HOw long is your trail anyway?

fmcd

Thanks for the comments, helps put things in perspective.

This circuit is something over 8km and takes somewhere around 16 minutes per lap unless you're KTMKevin. How long would it take him? Anyways, jokes aside, it's pretty safe but interesting enough to still be fun after 4 or 5 laps. So I'm an old guy and that's about my day's limit but it is a fair little workout particularly in Summer heat. I've gradually incorporated some little wooded sections for change of pace and shade on hot days. There's almost always a new section like that funny bit where Trev and I get stuck in the brush, that part was opened on that day so will be much improved this season. In the vid I uploaded there is a whole section missing and I'm going to upload another GoPro clip of a complete lap maybe next weekend.

I'm wondering what reasonable protocol club members are used to regarding avoidance of potential liability issues when doing an invited ride on private property? Maybe there's a pretty simple way the concern can be resolved.

With thanks,
F McDermott

chiendesbois

I guess you could make riders sign some sort of waiver releiving you of any responsibility for accidents, loss, theft....etc.
I'd sign something like that anytime!!

PeteZ

chiendesbois":1r8xhvx9 said:
I guess you could make riders sign some sort of waiver releiving you of any responsibility for accidents, loss, theft....etc.
I'd sign something like that anytime!!

And one could always ask for (wrt Ontario bike) a green license plate and associated liability insurance. That, along with a waiver would resolve you from any liability.

fmcd

Thanks for the info.

We're doing a nimrods dirt playday here in August for the Ducati Owners Club and will just use the same waivers we use at our pavement trackday events (Calabogie, Mosport, GB) which is pretty simple and easy to administrate. The primary issue doing rides on private is reducing potential for liability due to percieved negligence should someone get hurt and sue. Folks like me who are far, far from well-off are unable to defend against legal shenanigans so the waiver thing is cheap, easy and simple. I asked the question thinking there might already be a BMA standard form. I can sort this out before summertime.

FM

Wow. I just watched the videos and that loop is awesome - I can't believe how long it is...

LOVE THE SIGNAGE!

This would be a great location for a BMA training day. It's a great place for instruction, drills, etc.

New or nearly new riders (or KTM Kevin) who want some instruction and a friendly loop to try their new skills. I really like this as it's difficult to find open areas where noobs feel comfortable. My wife started riding off-road a couple of summers ago and a place like this would be a great way for her to get more comfortable with single track.

I find that Limerick can be challenging and/or intimidating for a new rider, or KTM Kevin (everyone else gave a kick so I might as well too).

Thanks for posting this, if you are open to having some BMA folks up please PM me as I would be interested - it's less than a 2 hour drive.

D