Off road chains

Just wondering what type of chain would be good for KTM 300xcw. Sunstar??? D.I.D??? Renthal??? I am assuming a 520 chain with 120 links.

rackatttack

all the 520 /120 links chains will be fine you will have to cut them to length the big question is type O ring X ring Z ring ? or std? price wise std is the cheaper then Oring depending on brand and then the x and z ring chains the narrowest chain is the std then the z ring and x ring finally the Oring , brand well that's up to you and your pocket book there is umi at the lower end of the scale good quality and will last the season if looked after then at themed rk did izumi sunstar renthal,and at the higher end regina

Marilius

I've been doing a lot of reading on chains, and from what I have found is the Primary Drive Steel Kit & Gold X-Ring Chain is the best out there for the $. It out last and preforms most of the name brands ones and it comes with both sprockets. I have not tried them as of yet this is just based on what I have read, but I have ordered a set to try out.

If i remember i'll post here and let you know how they work out.

Forgot to add: you order for the type of bike you have so from what people are saying there is no need to cut them.

SigPig

I use the orange one from the power-parts catalog.

The Orange one gets more traction than the Black one.

X-Ring Chain.

jbreedon

Marilius":7l854w0w said:
I've been doing a lot of reading on chains, and from what I have found is the Primary Drive Steel Kit & Gold X-Ring Chain is the best out there for the $. It out last and preforms most of the name brands ones and it comes with both sprockets. I have not tried them as of yet this is just based on what I have read, but I have ordered a set to try out.

If i remember i'll post here and let you know how they work out.

Forgot to add: you order for the type of bike you have so from what people are saying there is no need to cut them.

I've used the primary drive O-Ring chain for a couple of years now. I get a couple of seasons out of them and they are a really good value but I've always had to cut them. I also use the primary drive XTS front sprocket which wears well. I've had good luck with the Renthal Twin Ring rear sprocket, but only went that route because I couldn't get the dirt tricks one which is my first choice. I have a chain break tool if you need to borrow it Tim.

I've been kinda leaning towards the Sunstar 520mxr1 works off road chain or the Sunstar SSR 520 O-ring chain. I'm not sure if the MXR1 chain is an o ring version though. Mind you , the gold colour looks awesome. Jeff, if I need the chain break I shall give you a shout.

Thanks for the info Dave. I moved to the 2 stroke world this year. :D

zedro

You'll want a sealed narrow chain, I've been using DID 520 VT2 Enduro Racing X-Ring Chain which comes stock on alot of KTMs, but it's pricey. There's a narrower one that's cheaper and been having good reviews that I'll try this year, the RK 520 MXU UW-Ring Chain

The DID barely stretches at all, I've never had one go out of spec, the plates eventually get worn and the seals get compromised first it seems.

Why the difference between a wide chain and a narrow one. Wouldn't the wide one be better for mud evacuation as opposed to the narrow one where it can pack in tighter between the pins.

zedro

Chains don't pack up with mud, however they will eat your chain guard, possibly other parts, and they are lighter.