Notes from the ice race meeting

ktmkevin

Just wanted to pass on some info regarding ice racing this season after a good discussion last week at the organizational meeting (thanx again to the Goodtime Centre for hosting).
Safety: as usual front and rear tire guards along with a full length spine protector are MANDATORY. New this year is the MANDATORY requirement of a tethered kill switch. NO EXCEPTIONS1 We are trying to keep the racers as safe as reasonably possible and the kill switches should be a big step forward.
Scoring: bike numbers must be black on a white background; one or two digit numbers only. If you choose to disregard this rule then be prepared to have the scorers "miss" you out there. Scoring is difficult enough without trying to decipher barely legible numbers. Also, to avoid duplication I am acting as registrar for numbers so contact me to have your number registered; first come, first serve although seniority will count in case of duplication. HELPFUL HINT: check out the results on this website to see what numbers have been in use for the last two seasons. Numbers already registered: 7, 50, 40, 88, 67, 53, 28, 52, 8, 86.
Schedule: here is a (very) tentative schedule
Jan. 11 - Woody's
Jan. 18 - Jamie's
Jan. 25 - Woody's
Feb. 1 - Jamie's
Feb. 8 - rain date
Feb. 15 - Johnstown
Feb. 22 - Constance Bay
Hopefully we have enough ice somewhere to have a practice day Jan. 4. But Mother Nature likes to screw up our schedule SO WATCH THIS FORUM FOR UPDATES1 This is our only way of communicating. Also, I am working on a Merrickville round which may preempt one of the first four rounds. We shall see.
Volunteers: we are in desperate need of people to take over specific aspects of a race day such as registration, scoring etc. Please contact me if you can help out.
New racers: we need to attract some new blood into the sport to continue to be viable. If you are reading this thread and thinking about giving it a try please contact Woody or I; all the racers are quite committed to helping out newbies and we will answer questions as best we can.
Looking forward to getting out there
ktmKevin (613-774-2562)

ktmkevin

Seems we have pulled together a race for Merrickville on Feb. 8. That was supposed to be our rain date if we had to reschedule an earlier round so I talked to Woody and Jamie and we reached a consensus: if any of our early rounds are lost due to ice conditions or weather we will simply use that as a day off instead of rescheduling. But, if we lose more than one early round, the usual juggling of dates and venues will be inevitable. So, as always, WATCH THIS FORUM FOR UPDATES! Sometimes the go/no go decision can't be made earlier than Saturday afternoon and this is our only method of communicating. See ya on the ice.