new adult dirt biker looking for advice

oxygenrace

I am new to dirt biking. I am looking for advice on what bike to ride. I am 5'7" 150lb. I'd like to ride limerick and calabogie trails. I've been told a ktm 200xc w (2-stroke) is good. i'm coming off a wr250r that i haven't ridden off road much. suggestions?

Skyllz

oxygenrace":2h4r0cds said:
I am new to dirt biking. I am looking for advice on what bike to ride. I am 5'7" 150lb. I'd like to ride limerick and calabogie trails. I've been told a ktm 200xc w (2-stroke) is good. i'm coming off a wr250r that i haven't ridden off road much. suggestions?

It is a great bike, especially for lighter weight riders like yourself. It can lug around all day or rev to the moon when you need it.

On paper they are similar except a few milimeters here and there but in reality, It tends to feel much smaller than a full sized 250 when you go back to back also. I often went from my 250XCW to my wifes 200(also for sale here in the advertisement, shameless plug) and the 200 feel like i'm riding a mountain bike compared to my 250.

When running good oil and not abused, most KTM 2-strokes can do over 100 hours on a top end before even thinking about it.

When coming off something like a WR250, you will noticve the lighter weight and also how much lower on the bike the weight it, making it much easier to flick around on single track. The 200 is a weapon on tight trails like limerick.

zedro

Are you looking for new or used? If new, the new Beta XTrainers are supposed to be phenomenal entry bikes that have a really low seat height, and super friendly power curve (they are 300cc 2 strokes but are tuned to ride like 4 stroke, meant too be lugged down low with no hit up top). Beta is marketing them as entry level or non race bikes, and I met an experienced rider this weekend (who came from a faster 250xc) who absolutely loves how flickable it is, especially as he's a smaller guy.
I transitioned from a KLX last year to a 250xc this year, and you can do a few simple mods to mellow them out. I originally was looking for a 200 but they can be hard to come by at a good price.
I also rode a 250xcfw (4 stroke) this weekend, and it was a very friendly bike to ride as well, and didn't feel as heavy in the corners as I thought it would.
Lots of options, just stay away from the SX models or the big bore 4 strokes and you probably can't go wrong.