Merrickville ice race Feb. 8

ktmkevin

So far the Merrickville race is on track; it's always the hardest the first time. Directions: from Ottawa area take 416 south to the County Road 43 exit at Kemptville OR from 401 take the 416 north to the same exit. Head west straight through Kemptville on Highway 43 to Merrickville (about 15-20 minutes from Kemptville). Once in Merrickville proceed straight through the main intersection; do not turn right to follow 43 over the lock. About a quarter mile later you will come to the community centre on your left; keep going straight past the north end of the community centre. Do not turn left in front of the community centre following the street. You should now see the sign for the library so follow the lane as it veers right to the library and the beach. Parking for race vehicles will be available around the library and quite close to the ice. If coming in on 43 from the Smiths Falls direction turn right at the main intersection just after crossing the lock. I will put up some orange enduro arrows to guide people in if I can find something to staple to.
The track will have to be upstream from where we go on the ice to get sufficient thickness so it may be a 75-100 yard ride to the pits and the track. Track construction will take place on Friday so take a look at this thread Friday night for updates. The community centre will be opened so we have washroom facilities and the local fire fighters are also doing chili/hot dogs/ hot chocolate/ coffee for the spectators and racers. I would encourage everyone to take advantage of the food and drink to benefit a good cause. BTW the community centre is a short walk from the parking area.
So, right now the biggest problem on the radar is a weather forecast that calls for the possibility of rain and warm temperatures on Saturday. Hopefully the temps will moderate downwards as the race approaches.
If you require further info or help please e-mail me at eastmanspearman@yahoo.ca or call 613-774-2562. I sure hope we have a good turnout of bikes to put on a great show.

ktmkevin

Bad news, folks! The Merrickville race is canceled. Just got back from there and the top water situation makes it impossible to build a track. To say I am disappointed by this turn of events would be a gross understatement. Apparently Hydro and the lockmaster have been fooling with the water height since I went up on Monday to check ice thickness (didn't even know about the hydro generation facility). I've talked with Woody and this Sunday will become an "off" day as the warm temperatures predicted might make any ice event shaky at best. So we shall move on and aim for Johnstown on Feb. 15. I will be going that way on Monday afternoon to check the ice out there. Hopefully we can get the "long track" event off without a hitch. And please spread the word about Merrickville.