Loud Pipes and testing facility

skidoorules

Hey All,

Just bought my first bike in 20 years after a 15 year hiatis. Bought a 08 YZ250F, last bike was a 86 BW 200 Four stroke. What a change but anyhow I digress... The gentleman a purchased the bike from had a 450 pipe on it and I suspect it is louder than 94 Db which appears to be the limit for trail rides. Anybody know where I can get my bike sound tested west of Ottawa and preferably for free :D

I got the 250 pipe so I am likely to slap it back on but am curious to see what the sound is on the 250 pipe. Wouldn't want to truck all the way up to a ride and find out I break the sound barrier with the stock exhaust!

Thanks for your help.

skr

ktmkevin

Welcome back to the sport. The BMA has sound testing equipment and we test all bikes at our club rides; less sound really does equal more ground (and we get quite frustrated by the dickheads that haven't figured that out yet). But it seems you're concerned about keeping your bike quiet; great to see. But, now for the bad news: a stock YZ of either the 250 or 450 flavours won't pass sound check. These are motocross bikes and are considered "closed course competition only" and simply aren't designed to pass the SAE J1287 sound test (commonly called "the 20 inch test") BTW I have no idea how you put a 450 pipe on a 250; the two are not interchangable. So I assume you have two silencers; the stock 250 silencer won't pass and I would need more info to advise if the 450 (?) silencer might pass. PM me if you can scrounge up more details. If neither prove suitable, there are three solutions: 1) trade your loud silencers to some motocross junkie who has a WR250; the WR Yamahas are dedicated trail bikes and their silencers easily pass sound test. 2) Buy a "quiet" silencer from one of many aftermarket companies as they all offer proper offroad silencers; reports that I have read indicate that the FMF Q series might be the best bet. 3) Buy a DB Dawg; available at Woody's (don't know about other local dealers carrying this; ask around). Results seem to be mixed with this item though; some bikes quiet right down while others don't see much improvement.

skidoorules

Thank you very much for the options KTM. I never considered a "trade" with a WR owner, good idea and it would be the cheapest. Now where to find an owner... Since this post I have been doing some searching around and just tonight came upon the DB dawg on the royal website. I will check out woody's though for local support. For clarification I guess I got my technical jargon incorrect. The pipe on the 250 remained the same, its the 450 silencer on the 250 pipe. I suspect it is much louder than the 250 as its about 4" shorter.

Also on Friday I recieved an email from "Terry" who I understand has the testing equipment for the BMA. I have emailed him back and I hope to set up a test with him shortly to see how far out I am. If I'm in the 100 db range I can't chance it with the DB dawg and will have to splurge for the Q2 I guess.

ktmkevin

Hmmm.....trying to put me on the spot here? If I remember correctly WR 250's usually test around 90 db; plenty quiet for trails. Terry might be able to give you a better idea as he may have some documentation from recent rides. I just spent some time in aftermarket silencers websites only to determine that some silencers have the same part number for both WR's and YZ's while others don't, even within the same manufacturer (as most have several lines). Don't know how to reference the stock Yamaha silencers so.....are the WR and YZ items interchangeable? A definite maybe....try before you buy (guess I "misspoke" myself again on that one!). Anyone out there in cyberspace have a good answer? As for jetting, it is possible that a quiet silencer could affect it enough to be noticeable but I find that unlikely. Modern four strokes seem to have a fairly wide latitude of acceptable jetting. Once again, anyone out there have hands on experience with this particular problem?

skidoorules

KTM,

Since my last post I have been advised the wr250 silencer will not bolt directly onto the YZ pipe. There is some suspision that the pipe and silencer may bolt onto the YZ head though. It is my understanding the pipe on the wr is smaller than the YZ pipe. It would seem the YZ silencer can bolt onto the WR pipe with the use of a different exhaust flange. I have also been advised the stock wr is likely as you say 90ish db, the Q4 on the YZ is likely 93ish and the stock yz is likely 100ish.

I think I will have to try a db dawg first as I don't want to blow $400 bucks if I don't have too! DB claims it will reduce the sound emmission between 6 and 10 db so if the yz starts at 100, with the dawg it should be 94 and below.

tripod

We are looking at a similar situation where my son has just moved to a YZ250F. It has a Yoshimura muffler and we installed their silencer/spark arrester which is supposed to reduce it to 96 db. So, we may need another db or two, perhaps the additioon of a DB dog as well would help. I supppose the first stop is to get it tested and see where we are at...

shipwrek12001

just curious..

Before there is a bma event,, would it be wise to have a sound test day for those who wish to have there bike tested. Not every time there is an event but have a spring sound test day. I think it is better than to go to the event and be told to go home because it is too loud... I'd be willing to spend 4 hrs on a Sat. somewhere to test bikes for people. pm me if it is a good idea.... or post here.

SK

thumpididump

Indeed. I am very curious to know how my bike will score (I'm quite skeptical of the results from the silly iPhone app I downloaded :lol: )

skidoorules

I know myself and another would be very interested in that. I have two pipes I would like to test along with a db dawg insert to see what the reduction would be on my YZ

Terry

Staff member
Until we manage to organize a test day I'll bring the sound meter when I'm out riding and test anyone that asks me. I drive an old beige Camry with a dirt bike sticker in the back window and ride a black and white DR650. I'm heading to Limerick today, I'll be there about 10:00.

Zorc

Does anyone know when and where the next testing will be taking place. I have an '06 KTM 300 xc, and I'm thinking about signing up for the Boogie this year. I'd hate to get there and be too loud.
Thanks,
Mike

Terry

Staff member
Do you ride in Limerick? I could just meet you there some day and we can test it quickly.

Zorc

Hey Terry, that would be great. I live in Prescott so I'm just a few minutes away. Were you thinking of the weekend or some time after work? If its after work Thursday or Friday works best for me.

Terry

Staff member
I'm too far away and work too late to make it out in the evening so It's weekend only for me. I'll send you a PM when I've got a plan for my next Limerick ride