Looking for info on green plated bike

Yan

Hi
We currently have a street legal Yamaha TW200 and looking to buy a second bike to ride Limerick with the wife - trying to choose between another TW200 or an off-road bike. I've never had an off-road bike, hence the questions. is insurance cheaper than on blue plated bikes with the same cc? do you still have to pay for the plates every year? We are both licenced (full M) so that is not an issue.
Thanks!

Terry

Staff member
Insurance is quite a bit cheaper on an off road bike. The plate is “one time” with no stickers. A trail bike with normal width tires works better than the balloon tires of a TW in trails because when the front wheel hits something it is always more or less in line with the bike. The balloon tires are too bouncy and the deflections from rocks are more likely to deflect the bike to the side making steering more difficult. Look at CRF150F, CRF230F, CRF250F, TTR230, KLX140G, to accompany a TW rider.

RLefebvre

And note, I was told that I cannot buy off-road insurance for a street-legal bike. So consider that when choosing.

And yes, off-road insurance is way cheaper. $100 vs. $500 roughly. And that $500 is for *just* liability.