Looking at getting into the sport

Torpedo

Hi;

my name is Michael and I live in Orleans; moved here a few years ago from Nova Scotia.

Been looking at getting in the sport of enduro/MX on and off for a few years. Never rode before.

I finally have the funds to afford it; however don't have tons of time during weekend (Work in truck manufacturing industry, lots of travel, 90+ flights a year, but often get a time during the week).

I likely only have 10-15 hours a month I can spare for this hobby. I have a 2 year old son too; and I think it would be a great sport to get him into even though he's a few years away from riding.

So in the around about way I still have a few questions;

1) Is only 10-15 of potential riding hours a month enough? (I'd have more time for maint, dry land training lol , etc).
2) Does anyone actually ride during the week?
3) at what age could I realistically see my son picking up the hobby
4) feel free to add anything or ask me; I appreciate any input before I dive in/turn off the switch.

thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

1) I think this question really comes down to the enjoyment you get out of the sport. Your spending a lot of money, for just a bit of time of enjoyment. I'd still have a bike if I could only ride 10-15 hours a month. I typically ride in Calabogie, which is usually a 9 hour commitment. If you head to Limerick or Larose (close to you) you can get away with a shorter duration.
2) Yes, people head out during the week. Wednesday seem to be the most popular day(during the week).
3) Don't know. I have a 17 month old and he's just started on a Strider (balance bike). From there he may get into BMX'ing. But I don't expect him to be on a motorized bike for a long time.

Cheers, Kevin

Jackrabbit

FWIW, I don't ride offroad anywhere near that much. I got a used XT225, very cheap and easy to ride. I ride around my own and my neighbours' properties, about 8 acres with a kind of circuit of about 1.5 km on horse trails his horses made. Once in a while go up to Larose Forest, but the designated motorcycle circuit is, in my view, a bit advanced - huge whoops and ruts, lots of trees. I occasionally venture on the non-prohibited parts of the abandoned railway, but most of it is off limits. A lot of the time I just putt around my field, practicing lifting the front wheel over things and kind of trials-type balance and riding.

As little as I do, I still find it worth owning and insuring the little bike.

I did a lot of dirt riding as a kid, and have done lots of road riding, and took the first level RACE course at Shannonville, so my general riding skills are not bad. My advice - get a sedate bike and go slowly on gentle trails.

Maybe I'm just getting old; as a kid screaming my RM80 wide open and getting as much air as possible was all I wanted.

Cheers

Matt

Torpedo

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah, I'm really torn. I don't want to go small like a 230TTR or 230F then find I'm really enjoying it and want to upgrade too quickly.

I'm also 6'1 and 220lbs.

Thoughts?

I would get "full size" bike because of your height. Anything like a TTR230 will be hard for you cause of it's small size.

If you pick up a bike that's a few years old, you always have the option of selling it for near the same price if you don't like the sport or realize you didn't buy the right bike.

As for bikes,id say a four stroke to ease into off road riding,maybe a 250F ,if its too much put a mild throttle cam on it .from any of the major brands.I also live in orleans,there are a few spots relatively close by to ride.

barbotte

10-15 hour a month a a little less than i ride as i try to ride every sunday in calabogie for 3-4 hours. i am 51 250 lbs i ride a honda 250x 4 stroke and love it .. if i were you i would definitly look into a reckluse clutch as that made my life so much easier going up the hill or rock and not to have to be worry about choking the engine and electric starter is almost a most too and yes Wednesday and Thursday seem to be what most people ride this summer but dont worry it seem that in calabogie any-day they have people riding ,,( i love north side better too )
cheer

Torpedo

Took a while but I finally bought a bike.

I searched high and low for a good used bike. It's a much more difficult task then one would suspect.

Lots of "just needs carb cleaned" then show up and it's nothing but a frame there.

Put money down on a 1 year old enduro in Montreal to show up and dealer tried to re-negiotate the deal.

Anyway; I found a great new bike and took the plunge. I got a new 2016 Husky TE300.

I am in the process of getting legal and of course joining up. I will need a lot of coaching both on and off the bike as this is my first one.

Thanks for all the advice and help thus far!