Limits to Dual Sport?

scott1

Hi,

I wonder if there are places a Dual Sport bike *Should Not* be going. More specifically trails that are 50-70% mud / water crossing? and never drive alone type trails. My question is what is the limit of the Dual Sport bike or is it just the rider that can determine that? I ask because I know a pure off road bike has more capabilities and is lighter. (for example) I'm interested to know what some of the more experienced riders would say " no dual sport bikes would go on XXXX trail because....(or did I just answer my own question :oops: )

The reason I ask is that I found a trail a few weeks ago in Calabogie that started off okay but then every 50 feet there was a 10-15 foot dark mud bed to cross. Personally I don't mind the odd mud hole but depth and length seemed to be an issue and I didn't want to be taking a mud bath... :shock: just for the sake of taking that trail....

Does anyone have suggested single track routes that are not "extreme" or are there any routes that should be marked off as (extreme trails?)

your feedback is important, I often ride alone due to my schedule (I know not the best thing to do) and I would like to get off the main route of the K&P or California Road and survive with my GPS/Water/Snack Bar/spare clutch cable and repair kit. :|

msnider

hi scott i`ve been riding dual sport a long time been in some bad places due to my own stupidity.a well stocked tool kit is your best friend a folding saw, a roll or length of rope at least 30 ft long and a small pulley can get you out of most situations oh yea don`t forget one of those head mounted flashlights cause its always late and usually raining when it hits the fan...and more rope is always better when your trying to rig something up.

ktmkevin

First, the bad news: I really can't think of any single track that you would actually enjoy on a big 650 unless your talent rivals David Knight and you have mounted full knobbies (no offense intended). Now, the good news: it's still possible to have a great DS ride in Calabogie using some two track to spice up the "basic loop" (down 77, across Clutch Cover and back up the K&P). So, starting at High Falls you could add the E-104(?) skidoo trail to Long Grass then down 77 to Mair Lake (I would think Mair Lake is about as difficult as most DS riders would want to attempt) then the eastern section of L.R. to Clutch Cover to the skidoo trail running beside the K&P to Two Bridges to Hi/Lo (once the big downed trees are removed!) then run up the K&P to Flower then across to Bumpus for the inbound. For a little variation you could also throw in a few sections of the Three Towers hydro line. My, this actually sounds like a great Calabogie 101 loop; a good challenge for experienced novice offroaders and intermediate DS riders without getting too beat up. Warning: I would think that aggressive tires could make life a whole lot easier on this stuff. And, finally, the standard disclaimer: I'm most certainly not a DS expert (or offroad, for that matter). Maybe Mike or Terry could continue on this thread; both excellent DS riders who perform minor miracles on those big diesels.

EmmBeeDee

ktmkevin":3bdzahkb said:
First, the bad news: I really can't think of any single track that you would actually enjoy on a big 650 unless your talent rivals David Knight and you have mounted full knobbies (no offense intended).

This makes me feel a whole lot better, after spending a day on my F800GS following Ronzo's WR250 on trails, and wondering why I kept thinking I was a lunatic to even try... :lol:

It wasn't all bad by any stretch of the imagination, but Ronzo sure looked like he was having a much better time than I was.

MUST BUY KNOBBIES, or at least TKCs!

msnider

aggressive knobbies make life much easier that is so true.i just got a new mefo on the front of the klr and rode the trails around bancroft all day in the rain sunday,and you know what rain does to a trail.it never once felt like i was pushing the bike hard yet i could keep a good pace.on downside these tires are kind of scary on wet pavment .but then again dual sport is about all finding the right balance that makes you smile.