Limerick and OFTR?

Skyllz

OFTR Membership Required to Ride in Limerick Forest

The United Counties of Leeds & Grenville, owner of the Limerick Forest, has agreed to work with organizations representing off road motorcycles and all terrain vehicles on the implementation of a two year pilot program for the development, use, and management of trails in Limerick Forest. The BMA, supported by the OFTR, and the Johnstown ATV Club, supported by the Ontario Federation of All-Terrain Vehicles (OFATV), are actively working with the Forest Manager to implement the program for the 2017 and 2018 riding seasons.

The end result will be that off-road motorcyclists riding in Limerick Forest this year will require an OFTR membership in addition to being quiet, licensed, and insured. The new requirement for OFTR club membership will position the BMA to more actively manage and maintain (and possibly expand) the single track trail system in Limerick Forest for the benefit of all riders.

This is a good news overall, very happy about it. If this can somehow lead to some way to going from the north to the south side legally it will be even better! :)

chiendesbois

According to the oftr web site it is mandatory to also have membership to a club to get membership to the oftr. Can anybody in the know confirm this? Im in qc. I ride the limerick 2 or 3 times per year. Do i have to buy both memberships ? Will there be daily pass options?

Thanks

babzog

Okay, you guys. You were fun when you just came to our forest and hosted events and rode and had fun.

Now you come to my community, pay and sway some politicians at county council so they grant you the right to control and force everyone to pay. I saw the above notice and thought to myself, "no fekking way this will fly". Well, jokes on us, I guess?

I will not pay bma one single dime to ride where I have ridden for years and where my kids are learning to ride. I will help with cleanup and trail work and will gladly help others if and when I can I can. But I am not going to pay bma for multiple memberships to ride my own county's land.

This was never discussed with residents - did you ever once think to be open and up front and fekking ask us if we wanted you to come waltzing in like kings? What of the other users, are they going to pay or do they enjoy the fruits of our labour?

Yep. I 've used curse words here. I'm pissed off at you arrogant pricks! I'm the dad in there teaching his kids to ride, not the idiot boozing it up and putting himself into a tree. You can't fekking fix stupid by making the rest of us pay for it! What the hell kind of message are you sending to kids - that they have to pay for patrols and being stopped and harassed on the trail, just to maybe ... What? What's your goal? Do you actually think you're going to affect any idiotic behaviour in there? I for one, will teach my kids to NEVER stop for ANYONE (other than a cop) while riding. How would they know a potential idiot from not?

Fekk me...

zedro

Maybe the alternative would be shutting down riding altogether...Sounds like you are mad at the wrong people, the BMA is probably saving the area in the long run.

And it's only 5 bucks per kid. I wouldn't waste that much anger on anything less than 100$....

Btw, I'm curious who the arrogant pricks are, because the guys who are at the core of the club care nothing more than making sure your kids have a place to ride with their kids. Go and try and find a legal riding area in southern quebec....You have no idea how good you still have it, and you might as well support it.

Although i see your point Babzog ,i am in agreement with the county and with the BMA on this issue.Passing this motion will ensure the right for riders to ride limerick for years to come.Until this type of action is taken for every riding area,they are all in jeopardy of being taken away from us at the whim of any township council that dislikes dirtbikes.

babzog

The point is multi-faceted.

1. We (the residents, the taxpayers, the one who live here) were NOT asked if we wanted this.
2. We (the taxpayers) are hit twice as hard with fees as any other rider - we pay the taxes to maintain the forest and now we have to buy an oftr membership. No one else has to pay twice!
3. Bma conveniently ignored the other users - the horse riders and the mountain bikers and dog walkers.

We have been riding here for decades. If there are problems, let the county bring in law enforcement and charge those being asshats (and I'm not talking about those who simply ride from north to south along the side of the road and cause no issue doing so). Forcing us to pay twice is not going to change a single damn thing!

Keep in mind... it's $5 for kids 12 and under. Over 12 and it jumps to $45. That's $200 for three. I have family from Toronto, 4 riders, to the tune of $250 who often come with friends. I can tell you now, they will never again set foot in limerick if this goes ahead as $250 a year is simply too high a cost. If anything, bma will kill limerick with this proposal.

If we taxpayers have to pay an Ottawa group twice to ride our own backyard, then I have two things to say: first, not going to happen. Second, if that's how you bma guys operate - paying off politicians to pad your own pockets with oftr money - then... I would tell the county to shut down access to everyone and close the forest. Either everyone pays (residents get a break in recognition of paying taxes) for access to the forest, or everyone gets the boot. This policy you are wallowing in of, "everyone gets a free pass except us and we'll fuck the locals in the process" is bullshit and I will not support it.

longzook

I understand your anger but i believe the club has the big picture in mind, yes i agree you as a resident of the area should get a break or pass of some kind as long as they are plated and insured. I think that clubs that have anything to do with the backcountry and trail systems where motorized vehicles are used are seeing a trend of closures of great riding areas. For the most part with no consultation with anyone, your riding future is decided behind closed doors by people that don't even use these places. Remember it is much easier and cheaper to put up a NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES sign then it is to be liable or insure a riding area like the one you have in your backyard. At least now there may be consultation with the OFTR because they have thrown their hat in the ring.
I moved from the Durham area of Ontario 30 years ago to eastern Ontario and all my old riding areas are closed for good even the ones we thought as rebellious teens thought they could never shut down are now done. places that were open 5 years ago in the Trenton Belleville area are now history. yours and my trails are clearly under attack by groups that are well organized that come armed with data and statistics and it doesn't take much to sway the people in charge of such decisions that no motorized usage is better then having you or i in there. What the OFTR brings to that table is numbers and studies on our behalf to help convince the policy makers to keep an open mind and show the positive side of the sport (the people). I truly believe that the club hasn't done anything to purposely lock anyone out and i hope there is a solution ... For me I joined the bma/oftr so my voice can be heard and counted. Ron

Dutch

Jon,

Funny you should mention stopping for police...

Just some good ol boys, never meaning no harm, been running from the law since the day they was born

Yan

Just to clarify. According to the forest manager Geoff McVey
"The agreement with the OFTR and OFATV is for Limerick South at this point. For now it affects all of Limerick in the “Limerick South” block which is in the Forsythe Rd/ Ferguson Rd/Cooper Rd /Limerick Rd area."
That means that riding in "Limerick North", which is in between Kemptville and Merickville, off Craig and Scotch Line roads, is open for everyone (at least for now, as they may expand the agreement to this part of Limerick in the future).

Regarding that agreement ? Is it really enforced by some authorities ? like police or bylaw officer ?

I've been riding limerick on a regular basis since that agreement was announced, and every time, there's a large proportion of people I come across that don't have BMA/OTFR membership and don't care. I toll one group one time but they just pretended they don't know about it... yeah sure... and I don't feel like it's my job to confront them to tell them either.

I do not agree with this pilot agreement/restriction, but I still pay membership fees for all my family as I play by the rules. But without enforcement, it look like this agreement it's kinda of a joke ?! Like they say, any rule/law is as good as how it get enforced.

Simon

jbreedon

Hi Simon,
We have been working with the county, OPP and JATVC on patrols and enforcement. All enforcement will be done by the OPP who were eager to start handing out trespassing tickets this year. Both the BMA and forest manager wanted to wait and really focus on education this year. We have a number of trail wardens who have completed over 25 formal patrols this summer and will continue until the trails close. We have not stopped people on the trails but instead tried to connect with them in the parking areas. We hand out an information card about Limerick forest which acts as the day pass just in case you do get stopped by the OPP. The JATVC has done the same talking to the ATV riders. In addition to speaking to the riders we check the trails for unsafe conditions and work with the forest manger to fix and maintain the trails. The club has provided ~$7000 to UCLG for trail repairs this year and will likely do the same again next year. In addition to the money invested by the club there are 100's of hours of volunteer time spent by the club members on trail maintenance. Finally as part of the agreement we do 2 trail audits per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. Based on these audits we are able to identify the areas that need the most attention and help prioritize the repairs. You have likely noticed the 4 major trail repairs done this year as a result of the spring audit. We also have a prioritized list of repairs for next year which will be updated after the fall audit.

Again the BMA will never be the group who provide enforcement, that will always be the OPP. Our goal is to continue to work with the forest manager, UCLG, and most importantly the other user groups to ensure we have access to the forest for a long time.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. Great to hear that a least something is being done about it. I did not know that this year was kind of a transition, would have been great to include that in the official announcement or maybe in the BMA newsletter. It would help give credibility to this agreement.

Simon

Oxmach

Excellent insight Jeff. I'm not sure if it is widely known the efforts of BMA members in terms of volunteer hours and financial support to ensure a viable joint use trail network is sustainable.

Having a strong member base is key to ensuring continued access to trails on county and public lands.

Regards,
Greg

I am with Ron on this one! Growing up in the Durham Region/Kawartha's there were many choices for riding. Not any more! I wish there was an organized group then to help keep it open for my kids!
Chris
PS On what Mike wrote I'll add by saying "Straighten the curves, and flatten the hills!"