LF Honda XL185 parts/parts bike

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'll keep this short. My buddy just picked up a 1979 Honda XL185 that basically needs a restoration. It was owned by a mechanic who fully rebuilt the engine, unfortunately his wife threw out a box of very important parts including the kickstart, front sprocket and front engine mount (lol..). So we can't start this guy up without scoring some parts...

Ideally we find someone locally who's got a derilect bike that we can pilfer or a mothballed box of parts in their basement. Honda made about 7 million of these bikes, so I know there are parts out there somewhere! Another thing we'll consider are any old XR/XL parts cause I'm sure alot of things were common in the line. (BTW they made this model until at least 1987, I know because this was the first motorcycle that I lusted after - Thompson's Honda in Kirkland Lake - new $1300.00). As a last resort, we'll fabricate the engine mount OCC style with my baby arc welder and hammer on a kickstart from any old dirtbike.

So... please let me know if you've got any leads, parts or full bikes. We are looking for goodwill and pay beer money only so $500 parts bikes are out of the question.
Thanks in advance!

skiottawa@yahoo.ca