KTM Power Valve "Devil" Red spring?

jmajor

All,

After a very spirited ride in Calabogie last weekend, I found myself wanting/needing more power trying to keep up with the 300's, 350's and 450's in the riding party. I'm riding the 250 XC-W.

Of course my abilities have a lot to do with this, but the wide open K&P trail left me literally in the dust...so my question:

Will changing to the Red "Devil" spring have a positive effect on my power situation? What should I expect if I swap in the red spring??

I have a feeling the top end will be the same, but the powerband will get a little (lot) more spirited = less linear?

*Edit: I'm running the "performance" map setting, with the plug ends connected under the gas tank...not buying an overpriced map switch that turns the plug on or off...

Thanks in advance!

Jason
'17 KTM XC-W

Gord

Maybe just me, but performance on the K&P seems the absolute last thing to consider when setting a bike up for Calabogie.

But if you are getting the most from your bike on the K&P, the power valve spring will not be in play since you will be wide open in appropriate gear.

Hey there
What is your primary and final drive sprocket situation? My bike does 60 tapped out but is geared for trail. There are no ribbon ceremonies on the K and P anyway. if iT is good in the bush leave it!
my 2 cents

jmajor

The sprockets are stock - 13 in the front and 50 in the back!

I definitely don't want to mess up the trail riding, so thx for the advice/reminder...

I am one of those guys who loves to win practice :D , but in this case I think I'll try it on the trail (red spring) and see what happens...if it negatively affects my slow-trail-riding, then I'll switch back to yellow spring and not worry about the K&P race.

J