K&P trail questions

scott1

Hello,

I'm interested in driving the entire route of the K&P trail starting from Calabogie GC. Has anyone driven the entire route?

My questions:

*How long to complete from start to finish (approx)
**How far off the trail is Gas available?
***Are there any sections that should be "noted" I know there is at least one water crossing that never dries up?
****Are there any impassable sections?
*****Any spectacular views to point out? Any tips?
******Is the trail clearly marked or does it "just follow the path"

Thank you,
Scott

Terry

Staff member
Hi Scott.
Cool project, to the people that ride the trails in Calabogie the K&P is a highway. You can take it form the GC south for about 40 km before it blends into 509 near Snow road station. I assume other sections are also available for riding as trails on such as the 15-20 km north of calabogie lake that takes you up near Renfrew. I found this map http://www.niagararails.com/cgi-bin/img ... ingpem.gif but it isn't very detailed. If I'm reading this map correctly lots of sections have been converted to roads such as county road 509 and county road 38.

*How long to complete from start to finish (approx) I Don't know other than what I said above
**How far off the trail is Gas available? Snow road station is as far south as I have taken it, you can get gas there
***Are there any sections that should be "noted" I know there is at least one water crossing that never dries up? It keeps changing, sometimes they dump sand or gravel on parts of it to fill in the pot holes
****Are there any impassable sections? Not in the areas I described above but you do have to take Barryvale road, 511 and 508 to link the parts north and south of Calabogie lake The causeway is long gone
*****Any spectacular views to point out? Any tips? Stay to the right and watch for the small stop signs at intersections
******Is the trail clearly marked or does it "just follow the path" Both, you know you are on a railway because there are no sharp turns
Cheers,

scott1

Thanks Terry,

that is a really good map.

I've gone as far as Wilbur and I can see there is a lot more trail to discover.

Cheers
Scott

Ronzo

Scott - the North K&P I've done as far as Renfrew. It's in pretty good shape (smooth cruising) compared to the Calabogie - Lavant Station potholed section. I've been south as far as Sharbot Lake (there is fuel there) and it definately goes further south that that - have fun exploring and report back :)

scott1

Thanks Ronzo,

I have confirmed its a "go" for this Sunday Oct 4th, 2009.

I will try to run the entire length of the K&P trail from the GC to Kingston and back.

I'll be taking my GPS for the tour.

scott1

I found this additional information:

http://post.queensu.ca/~ab25/kandptrail/index.htm

Trails are hallmarks of livable communities and of cities that are built on a human scale. Despite its scenic location, Kingston has very few dedicated off-road trails, and those it does have are short and do not connect with other trail systems. However, there are 14 kilometers of unused railbed in the rural areas of Kingston and another 7 km within the old city limits of Kingston, parts of which are now being transformed into a viable multi-use pathway capable of supporting cycling, hiking, cross-country skiing and equestrian activities.

Nick-named by locals as the "Kick and Push", the K&P Railroad has been abandoned for years, but offers the opportunity to provide a trail running from Kingston to Harrowsmith and potentially as far north as Sharbot Lake. At Harrowsmith, the trail could connect with the existing Cataraqui Trail, a part of the Trans-Canada Trail network. The K&P right-of-way (ROW) is partly owned by Bell Canada, but the ROW within the rural area of Kingston has now been acquired by the city, and South Frontenac Township has expressed interest in acquiring the ROW within the township limits.

scott1

Hi

Slight change in plans. We ended up taking the K&P the 40.8KM to HWY 509 however it appears that was the end of the "trail" and only the road was left to drive. We turned down the back roads over to Lavant Mill Road, then upt to Poland, 511 etc.. 118KM route. Very nice and only about 3 hours. There were lots of people walking on the K&P. There was also an ATV tour that we passed (twice). Two deer jumped out around 30ft in front of us just past Lavant Station.

I think with more time I will eventually get to Sharbot lake and beyond to Kingston.

Great day to be out on the trails. :D

Attachments

• Kandptrail09.jpg
    Kandptrail09.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13,488

scott1

My digital camera batteries were drained so my friend Alan took this photo with his cell phone at one of our stops along the K&P trail. :D

scott1

Question, is the K&P Trail allowing motorcycle traffic at this time of year?

A friend of mine and I were thinking of taking a drive from the GC out to the 509 Hwy.

Ronzo

Hey Scott - The K&P is always open, there are no official closure times that I'm aware of.

Cheers
Ronzo