I've never seen this before...

Gord

My second install of a new mousse, third ever mousse install. As usual, wrenching the night before a ride. Was pleased it went relatively smoothly, until I loaded bike in the morning. What's that blue by the rim?

mousse rim tape.jpg

To speed things (did I mention last minute wrenching), I kept the rim strap instead of taping rim. Figured it would be fine for a mousse. I guess forcing the mousse into the tire must have pushed the rim strap out of rim in one spot and I completed the install like that.

I wasn't about to unload and try to fix. Wasn't sure what it might hurt, and kind of hoped it would fix itself. Everything was well-lubed, and the strap was under tension...

Sure enough, 1/2 hour into ride I checked and the sliver of blue was gone. May or may not have returned fully to right place, but I won't worry about it. But will tape the rim next time 🙂.

cr250

I've never taped a rim. Ratty old rim strap is fine. And if it breaks and falls off, who cares. Mousses don't care, they just keep rollin' down the highway, errrr.... I mean trail. Thats the beauty of mousses, they just keep on working and need next to no maintenance. God bless Michelin for inventing them 40 years ago.