Is membership required for trail access?

FJ11

Now that I’m almost there, I was wondering if a club membership is required for access to the local trails in the Ottawa Valley. Calabogie, Limerick, Larose…etc

Are these trails for members only or is any plated/insured/quiet bike allowed to enjoy them?

I understand that joining helps to finance the trail maintenance etc but I wouldn’t to find out afterwards that with a certain club you can only ride in one area and not another other.

Thanks,
Mark

You can ride those areas but in my opinion you'll get a lot more out of it if you join the club. I joined 2 years ago and I've not regretted it.

Since then I've rode in areas that I would have never known about and I've met so many riding buddies there seems to always be something going on.

I don't think you would regret joining, it's worth the $80 - plus lots of perks. The newsletter is second to none! :lol:

dschultz

Administrator
Hello:
You will need a BMA/OFTR membership to ride in Larose forest. If you are stopped by the bylaw officers they will also be looking for valid bike ownership, liability insurance and blue (road) or green (off road) plate. Of course you wouldn't ride anyway without these right? ;-)
Dale

Dale,

Thanks for clearing that up. I totally forgot that you need to be a BMA/OFTR membership for Larose. My mistake...

Dallas

FJ11

I just got the bikes plated on the weekend and am making calls for the insurance this week.
I was thinking about joining the club but waited to make sure that we weren’t being locked into only one area.

Are there also some trails in an area called Marlborough Forest? I’ve heard a few people mention it but don’t know where it is or anything about it. I'm looking for trails that are closer to the Nepean area although I do plan on trying the others that are little further out also.

Thanks,
Mark

Doug

Administrator
Marlborough Forest (aka "the Klondike") is an area west of North Gower/south of Richmond roughly enclosed by Rogers Stevens Drive, Malokoff Rd, Dwyer Hill Rd and Franktown Rd. It is mostly Forest Roads and winter snowmobile trail with some limited, easy single track.

It tends to be a bit low and wet in places. There are barriers put up at some access points in recent times as idiots have been going in to dump garbage. Not a bad place to go for a short ride if you live in the area, but nothing to go out of your way for IMHO.