Insuring & Plating Dirt Bikes

FJ11

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice/suggestions on getting our dirt bikes plated and insured for the trail. The kids and I have been riding them at the cottage for the past few years but after finding out about BMA, I would like to try some of the local trails.

With both my kids being under 16, how do I go about getting their bikes insured? Will I be paying through the nose since they don’t have a driver’s license or do I just put my name down as the principal rider (for all three bikes)?
How are others doing this?
Also which company is offering the best rates?

The other issue I’m having is getting one of the bikes plated since I didn’t get an ownership from the previous owner when I bought it 4 years ago. MTO says to contact him to get the ownership but I don't know if he even registered it. I’m having no luck in tracking him down. MTO will not even tell me who the bike is still registered to. Argh!

Anyone been down this route before? Any suggestions..

Thanks,
Mark

weekender

I can't offer any advice for registering the bikes. However, once that step is complete, I suggest calling a State Farm Insurance agent for your insurance needs. From my experience, they have the best rates. The only caveat is that you have to move some of your other items to them as well (car and/or house).

tripod

I, as well, have no advice with respect to the registration part but as for insurance I have gone with State Farm. Their contact info is on the OFTR website.

I have the two bikes only insured with them, I did not need to move anything else over to them (though it would have been cheaper). Also, I made it clear that kids with no drivers licence would be riding them. For liability, fire and theft it was about $180 per bike per year. I also found them very personable to deal with and got everything I need through fax and phone.

105 rider

We too, have our bikes with State Farm, and the bikes are $80/year. I did move my car over, and they do know that me kids are not licensed. 3 bikes for the price of 1 at my old insurance company.
As far a getting an ownership for your bike, if you can not track down the old owner of the bike, you will have to get an affidavite from the police. We have had to do that before.
Good luck.

FJ11

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I called State Farm as you all suggested and received a very reasonable quote for the three bikes. There was also no problem with kids down as riders.

Just to do some comparison shopping, I then called two other insurers including my home and auto provider. When they asked me about any under 16 unlicensed riders on the bikes, and I said “Yes”, both places immediately said that they can’t insure me.

I’ll be calling back State Farm on Monday and signing up with them. I may even move my street bike over too.

As for the ownership issue, Wow! What a difference a day makes.
I went back to the license office after work today to plead my case again. This time, with different people behind the counter, they gladly typed in my bike VIN, did some registry searching for me and then said that there was no record of the bike ever being registered.

They then asked “Would you like to sign an affidavit saying that I did indeed buy the bike 4 years ago and was now the legal owner?”
Fifteen minutes later I was out of there with a new shiny plate!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mark