Ice racing?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I attended a BMA ice race several years ago as a spectator and was quite impressed. Was thinking that I'd like to try it out myself, but unsure if it is newb friendly, and how to even go about it... I've got plenty of street experience but very little off road experience and have never ridden a motorcycle in winter (lol). So, my million dollar question is how would I go about trying out ice racing? Is there a FAQ on the internet, what type of bike will pass and how do I set it up? Can I find an already prepared bike for cheap (cost is a factor of course) or can I borrow a ride?? I'm not overly concerned about being competitive just want to have some fun and try this out.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

A

Anonymous

I think that your best bet would be to call woody. He has been in it for a long time and could help you out. He is also one of the organizers of the events.

A

Anonymous

Woody is definitely a good place to start for info. To answer some of your questions: 1) We do have a novice class. 2) At novice level any reasonable dirtbike will work just fine, just slap on tires and a front tire guard (also, we require full length spine protection). 3) Fully setup ice race bikes aren't often for sale and can be somewhat expensive. Best way to get your feet wet is to come to a race and talk to the racers. The track is opened to all after the racing is over and newcomers often borrow a bike from a friend and do some laps. If you don't know any racers then talk to the race officials and let it be known that you would like to give it a try. If you exhibit reasonable caution there shouldn't be any problems borrowing a bike (look me up). Remember to bring your gear. Ice racing is an absolute blast and every serious rider should give it a try at least once. Once you get bitten by the bug be prepared to open your wallet for a decent dirtbike/ice bike.

A

Anonymous

Well thanks for the info. I've got full riding gear and back protector, so that's no prob, just no bike (actually I have an R6, but I don't it would be suitable). I'll look for the schedule when it comes out and come down and talk to some people. Does KTM make a good ice race platform? I've always liked their bikes... Also, I presume you'd need to modify the jetting on a two stroke to keep it from burning down in sub-zero weather, would you need to make any adjustments on a four stroke to run right in the cold??

105 rider

You do have to change the jets in a two stroke and also in a 4 stroke. As for KTM's, Woody has a 525 that he has set up for ice racing. Some of the other racers also have KTM's, Kevin for one. Kevin also uses his bike in the summer, where some riders use them just for the ice.
We will be posting information on the webpage, when we have it all figured out but if you want to send me your address I will send you a info package when I get them ready.

A

Anonymous

105 rider makes a good point. You, at some time, may have to make a decision as to whether you want a "strictly ice" bike or a "four season" bike. The best choices for each can be radically different depending on your personal preferences. I would argue for the increased versatility of an all season bike if you can only afford one (no bias, right?). If you can afford both, could you please get me a job where you work?