Helmet Recommendations

Dutch

What do you have, where did you get it and how do you like it?

I have been happy with an XL sized HJC, and then a Fly as far as fit. Now, hoping to upgrade to something lighter and cooler/better venting.

Thanks.

skidoorules

Suomy, GP bikes. Nice and light and well vented. Tried a fly f3 or whatever the version is and it didn't fit my head worth a crap. The suomy fit like a glove, was super light and reasonably priced at the time.

The 6d Helmet is apparently the cats meow when it comes to safety. It's also twice the price of the suomy. I beat the crap out of my helmets and its held up very well. I've got the peak currently "stitched" together with grip wire after an unpleasant face plant trying to climb greens mountain at the cord this past fall.

fox V4,super light weight,carbon fiber i think.fits very well and has held up fabulously.bought off ebay,cant rememebr the price but it wasnt cheap.My next will probly be an Airoh,they have super great safety feature and looks

Jackrabbit

I got an MSR Expedition (the new version; there are two) from Motorcycle Superstore last fall. They fit very tight; I wish I'd gone up a size, i wear a medium HJC and there's room to spare, the medium MSR is very tight. It's light, good visibility, can wear goggles and the visor, removable peak, well vented. Havent't used it a lot yet. One concern is it fits so close at the front that I wonder if a front end impact would have the plastic contacting my face; it's very close. Good value for money, unfortunately don't seem to be available around here to try on first.

Matt

Jackrabbit

I've now spent some time with the MSR and like it better than I expected. Although tight I think the fit is correct, just snug and has a pressure point (which always happened to me with Shoei's too). Nose guard keeps fog to a minimum on a very humid day. I did not feel overheated because of the helmet on a very hot day, and at any speed over a crawl the vents were good enough to keep the visor clear. It is quite light for a full face helmet. Visibility is superb; I was on very tight, technical trails way above my pay grade and never felt like sightlines were compromised. The peak catches a bit of wind at 80+ km/h, but I'd expect that is true of most any helmet. They are a bit of a pain to get sunglasses in, but apparently goggles can be worn under the visor (I've never tried that, I wear bifocal sunglasses when riding so I can check maps etc.).