Harsh, Not Plush

fmcd

I have a 2004 KTM 450 EXC with awful forks. Why didn't someone warn me??? I know, I know...

I've been asking and researching a bit and would like to get these off to a nunnery or better yet, to someone who does the magic with older models WP forks. These are the dread 3-bushing 48mm fork which is reputed to be fine after a serious re-valve.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

V. best regards,

Francis McDermott

ktmkevin

A revalve from a reputable firm will do wonders but the poor man's solution is to go from 5 weight fork oil to something much lighter. I found a 50% improvement using 2 1/2 weight; you might want to try this quick and easy fix first and see if the results are "good enough". I have been told by people that should know that the problem is a lack of flow on high shaft speed impacts caused by the base valve assembly. I eventually had a Race Tech Gold Valve installed along with their valving specifications but I'm still fooling with oil weight and clicker settings to reach the "perfect" setup. But the fact that this problem existed over several years of production makes me wonder what KTM was thinking!

fmcd

KTMKevin,

Perfect poor-man's bodge for recreational riders. The fork has already loosened up considerably from a few semi-laps around the farm trail loop. The bike sat for a few years before me. Vast difference from when I bought it and I planned an oil change thinking the corrosion and grot that initially made this one so sticky is now in the oil. I called Terry and the revalve operation is the way to go but unfortunately beyond what's left of my budget for the next few months. So, a bit lighter oil is the perfect way to do something good for now. I like this! We did the JD kit and carbie mods and the rideability is just excellent. Surprising sometimes how much difference details can make.

Franco