Green plate for a bike that was not plated before

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody know if it's possible (and if it's complicated) to green plate a bike that was not previously plated by the previous owner ? I moved from Alberta last year and I'm not familiar with the rules in Ontario and wasn't able to find and answer on the MTO website. I figure out that maybe someone did it before.

Thanks

Simon

I know it's not an issue when you have those. Insurance is easy to get, but the ownership seem to be the issue for me, I am looking at upgrading my son's bike and a lot of used bikes I see for sale don't have ownership, some have the dealer bill of sale, others nothing. since we ride on public land, I don't want to buy something that I won't be able to register and get green plate.

I did bought used bike without ownership before, but in Alberta, and over there, all you need is the VIN and a bill of sale from whoever, they check if it's stolen and then you get a plate. Fairly easy.

But MTO website is very vague about that and usually, Ontario regulations are more... kinda of annoying. I was just hoping someone might have done it and know what's needed.

Worst case, I can go wait in line for an hour or two and ask the question at Ontario service center but if I can avoid it, it would be great.

Simon

jmajor

Hey, hopefully not too late, but I just went through this myself.

In my case, it was a new bike so the dealer would normally do this, but they left it for me!?

I had a dealer bill of sale that they keep a copy of, in order to generate the ownership for the bike. They did not ask for proof of insurance, registering a dirtbike doesn't require it necessarily, because quite frankly if you're driving on your own land you do not need insurance.

So, all you need is a bill of sale with the VIN and the price, they will charge you tax unless your bill of sale shows that you already paid the tax to a dealer (like in my case), so the registration and plate cost me under $30 as I remember.

Good luck!

Jason
'17 KTM 250 XC-W

ktmdirtbiker

To Simon Gagne,
You mentioned about having insurance was easy...
Just for comparison for what you have....MTO only requires Public Liability.
State Farm does have a special policy for OFTR members with minimal P.L. insurance...costs about $93/year.
You will not need to have any other policies with them (I don't).

Get a letter from the previous owner with the VIN and sale price...
You may want to try going to smaller towns Service Ontario Offices to not having to wait a long time (several hours you mentioned)..ie; Perth, Westport, Gananoque.
I hope this helps...Tom in Brockville

Thanks for the reply, I already have insurance with the Sate Farm/OTFR deal as you mentioned and yes it's cheap !, cost me 300$/yr for five bikes.

As for the green plate (without previous ownership), I also found how to proceed, if anybody as the same issue, there is pretty much 2 options :

Option #1
You get all the bills of sale since the bike was new (including the one you get from the seller), and since you can prove "continuity of ownership", the MTO will issue a ownership and green plate. If you have NVIS form with that, it help a lot too.

Options #2
If you dont have all the bills of sale, you make a certified affidavit stating why you are missing that information, what information you have and that to the best of your knowledge this information is true and that you are the legitimate owner of the vehicle. Some MTO have a commissioner on site, so you can bring your affidavit and they make you swear and do all the other formality to have it certified. Then you proceed to the registration to get ownership and plates.

In both case you do not need any insurance to get ownership or plate. (but yes, I know you need it for public land!).

Like Tom said, some offices will even do it if you missing some of the papers, especially in smaller towns, but thats kind of a hit and miss... if you have the time to try

Hope this would help anybody like me thinking about buying used bike that was not previously registered. I went trough the process recently and it wasn't as hard as it looked.

Simon