GPS units

I'm looking to purchase a gps unit. Does anyone have a preference as to which one to look into. I need something that is good in the woods and is easy to operate.

fmcd

62 is the upgrade, both are the best for under the forest canopy, I work in forestry and short of a $4k Trimble, the 60CSx or 62CSx are, in my opinion, the best. Best hand-held, anyways so considering there's no way anyone can ride and view a screen simultaneously, hand-held (bracket mount) it is.

Francis McDermott

OK now that we narrowed a few different types of units to look into. What type of bar mount should I be looking at also.

Skyllz

gpscity.ca
gpscentral.ca

Check both to see if they have any specials on what you want. Both places have served me well in the past.

I also agree with the Ram Mount and 60/62 discussions. I hope my 60CX will last a while(already 5 years old), it's a good little unit for Trail riding on my 300XC-W or my Commander.

Dutch

I use the Ram Mounted 60csx and it requires a secondary attachment. They are hard to find if you did not see eject from the cradle.

I've seen a zip-tie used but I have safety wired mine to the cradle.

EmmBeeDee

hockey2ref":1a190czm said:
I'm looking to purchase a gps unit. Does anyone have a preference as to which one to look into. I need something that is good in the woods and is easy to operate.

Go straight to the best you can get - the Garmin Montana. Stephanie and I have two and since buying them a year ago, our backup 62S and Oregon 550 never get used. The Montana works in Landscape or Portrait mode and has a great lockable mounting system which powers the gps through surface contacts. And the mount is only $35! The Montana will set you back $400 to $500 or more depending on the mounts and maps you get but it'll last you for a long long time.

IMG_00137.jpg

fmcd

Mike,

Great suggestion and Montanas have several very nice features, not the least of which is the 4" screen, excellent!

For my work requirements the track seperation error on the Montana makes those 60x and 62x series squinty-screen models still better and used ones are cheap like borsch, lately, so still worth considering if only as a backup unit in Stephanie's pack. Obviously, she's already carrying the backup sandwiches anyway, correct?

I'll be in the market for a Montana 650 next year when upgrades fix everything and the thing will even make toast.

Fran

EmmBeeDee

fmcd":3th7n70c said:
For my work requirements the track seperation error on the Montana makes those 60x and 62x series squinty-screen models still better and used ones are cheap like borsch, lately, so still worth considering if only as a backup unit in Stephanie's pack. Obviously, she's already carrying the backup sandwiches anyway, correct?

I'll be in the market for a Montana 650 next year when upgrades fix everything and the thing will even make toast.

Sorry Fran, I'm not aware of any track issues. What is that all about?

As far as I'm concerned, version 4.60, the latest, is almost flawless.

fmcd

Hey Mike,

Stop telling me about the scope of developments improving an already compelling device! I just end up realising as a motorbike-mounted unit the Montana 600 (no camera) will be my next choice. My defense of the smaller hand-helds is different use parameters. I don't have first-hand experience with the Montana but as a machine-mounted unit it gets the best comprehensive reviews by far. Best economics may be to talk a riding buddy into buying one. ...er, Mike, do you do Calabogie North?

Let's ride!

Franco

EmmBeeDee

fmcd":zsc2j6jn said:
Best economics may be to talk a riding buddy into buying one. ...er, Mike, do you do Calabogie North?

Let's ride!

Franco

Would love to ride with you Fran but our bikes are dualsports, not so good on gnarly trails. Maybe we should just drop into the farm sometime and bore you with gps trivia. 8) The Montana really is a great device. It's the 60CSx of the new generation. The new standard, so to speak.

And unless you're really strapped for cash, you should get the 650, the one with the camera. I thought initially of getting the 600 but Stephanie said no, get the 650 and she was right. She usually is. :mrgreen:

fmcd

Mike,

Stop by the motoranch soon and ride the 450exc, I'll show you the gnarly bits up here, more technical than pointlessly risky, actually.

I'm not bored at all by GPS techy-talk 'cause I have geek genes and love the info. a GPS can provide.

Why the camera? That I don't quite get. For clear pictures an actual camera works so much better, particularly if you intend to upload them for specific uses.

All the best,

Fran

EmmBeeDee

fmcd":2fhmv4gp said:
Why the camera? That I don't quite get. For clear pictures an actual camera works so much better, particularly if you intend to upload them for specific uses.

Would love to take a 450 out, but maybe I should just borrow my son's G450X in case I damage anything.

The beauty of the camera is that it geotags the photos so if you want to go back to a location or share it, you have everything to do that. You can also see the locations on a map using Basecamp and create Garmin 'Adventures', to share your tracks, routes and associated photos online.

Also, the Wireless transfer feature of the Montana (and 62/78/oregon/Dakota) is really useful. You can send geotagged photos, tracks, routes, waypoints, etc to other similar units without needing a computer.

snail

A small note; both the 60CSx and 62 series have a quad helix antenna (housed in the big ugly protuberance at the top of the unit). As far as I can tell, the Montana series do not, instead they appear to have a patch antenna. All of these units are claimed to have high sensitivity receivers. The 60CSx and 62 with the quad helix antenna should have better overall sensitivity than the Montana, which may be advantageous in situations with heavy tree cover and/or when in a valley surrounded by steep mountains/cliffs.

Everyone knows that the GPS units need to receive signals from multiple satellites in order to determine position information. What is often forgotten is that these satellites are located mostly at low angles to the horizon, and of course in quite different azimuth directions.

BTW, I work with RF electronics for a living.

On a different topic, I agree that a tether is essential, even with a good mount from RAM. On a very rough trail, the GPS can come out of the mount without you noticing, and are very difficult to spot, particularly if there are lots of leaves on the ground. I speak from recent, highly regrettable experience.