GPS Recommendations

scott1

You may want to do a search on GPS at the top right corner of the screen as there are a few threads on what models are popular.

I have a Garmin gpsmap 76csx. It works well, large display 4gig card for holding tracks. I use a RAM mount.

I need the GSP primarly to find my way out of the trails if I go alone and also to mark Gas stations as the Honda XR650L has a short range with fuel comsumption.

PeteZ

I just purchased the Garmin 60cx - which appears to be quite popular among the adventure riders - and am quite pleased with it. I find it quite easy to control while riding - with its up-front buttons.

The only downside to the garmin units is that you can only (easily anyway) have one map loaded at a time ie- the navigator or the topo, but not both (easily anyway). A pain, as the navigator actually has more back roads on it than the topo, but the topo has all the powerlines.

I'd also highly recommend the RAM mounts..... very well-made and sold.

Cheers,
PeteZ
KLS250s
BMA since 2009 :)

SRioux

Thanks for the info.

I had heard about the Garmin 60cx, it looks like a popular model.

I don't know why the motorcycle specific models are so expensive?!(Zumo)

Also, where can I get a map holder?

weekender

I recommend the Garmin GPS V or, if you have a little more cash, the Garmin GPSMAP 276C.

They don't make the Garmin GPS V anymore, but you can still find them on ebay.

The nice thing about both of these units is that they install horizontally, rather then vertically. So, you can have the unit parallel to your bars and nicely tucked out of the way rather than sticking up into your line of sight.

SRioux

PeteZ":2asw6yzi said:
re: map pocket: http://motorhelmets.com/htm-luggage/hop ... versal.htm

if you find one locally, please let me know..... I haven't bought one yet

Cheers,
Pete

I found 2 magnet map holders at OGC. This one at about 50$, not bad but I tried it in store on a demo KLR650 and it doesn't fit well.

http://www.kappamoto.com/catalogoonline/tabid/55/Product/69/TK715.aspx

There was an other smaller one with no pocket... guess the price, even higher 80$ for a piece of plastic!

Stephanie

SRioux":2vea8d5h said:
What make / model do you recommend?

I really like my Garmin 76CSX, the big buttons are easier to use with gloves on than on the 60. Other than that they are pretty much the same unit....

EmmBeeDee

weekender":btymntal said:
I recommend the Garmin GPS V or, if you have a little more cash, the Garmin GPSMAP 276C.

They don't make the Garmin GPS V anymore, but you can still find them on ebay.

The nice thing about both of these units is that they install horizontally, rather then vertically. So, you can have the unit parallel to your bars and nicely tucked out of the way rather than sticking up into your line of sight.

The V can be placed horizontally or vertically. I think the trick is to hold the "Page" button down and it switches from one orientation to the other. I still have a V but it's the backup unit for my 60CSx.

tj

PeteZ":3sw0iqcq said:

The only downside to the garmin units is that you can only (easily anyway) have one map loaded at a time ie- the navigator or the topo, but not both (easily anyway). A pain, as the navigator actually has more back roads on it than the topo, but the topo has all the powerlines.

I'm not sure what "easily" means, but I have three map sets on my 60CSx: Topo, City Nav and Ibycus. (The latter is better than Topo and it's free.)

Yes, you can "see" only one at a time and you have too punch some buttons to change which one you see. Is that what is meant by "not easily"?

Anyway, I like my 60CSx, except the smaller screen gets harder to see as my eyes get older...

Terry

Staff member
I have the 60cx as well but would recommend that you get one with a compass built in (60csx) When I stop to figure out where I am the display randomly spins around , very confusing.

SRioux

OK, I think I'm going to go with a 60Cx or 60CSx?

Where is the best place to get one with a RAM mount?

(Terry, I think we tried to post at the exact same time... had to repost mine!)

EmmBeeDee

Terry":iivyo8lm said:
I have the 60cx as well but would recommend that you get one with a compass built in (60csx) When I stop to figure out where I am the display randomly spins around , very confusing.

But to use the compass in a 76 or 60CSx you have to hold the gps level so if you have it mounted on the bike, odds are it isn't "level'. I usually keep the compass turned off on my CSx, relying on the GPS compass which requires movement for accuracy, but it's better than nothing.

To turn the compass on or off on a CSx model, you just hold the "Page" button in for a couple of seconds.

EmmBeeDee

If you do end up with a 60 of any type, and plan to use a power cable, you might want to make one of these, the design of which I just thought up this afternoon.

The holder is by RAM, "RAM Mount Plastic Garmin GPSMAP 60 and Astro Series Mount Cradle", you can see it through the link below.

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-ram-mount-garmin-gpsmap-60-and-astro-series-mount-cradle/ramholga12.htm

I use a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the power cable has nothing holding it in. It falls out often.

This is what the back of the gps looks like, in the RAM mount:

3619811311_ce9ccbd94b_m.jpg

This is not helped by the pFranc power cable http://www.pfranc.com/ I made up, but I like the setup so I gave a little thought to the idea of keeping the cable in and came up with this:

3620631414_aa0b8cc2cf_m.jpg

This is just a flat piece of plexiglass which I cut up and is now sandwiched between the RAM diamond mount and the RAM gps holder, and which keeps the power cable from coming out unless I remove the gps from the RAM mount.

3619813933_748ab8144a_m.jpg

3619813501_5300e6dde9.jpg

That should be the end of that problem, I hope.

tj

EmmBeeDee":2yrpj8hk said:
Terry":2yrpj8hk said:

But to use the compass in a 76 or 60CSx you have to hold the gps level so if you have it mounted on the bike, odds are it isn't "level'. I usually keep the compass turned off on my CSx, relying on the GPS compass which requires movement for accuracy, but it's better than nothing.

Yes, my 60CSx does the spin at stops. But it does one spin and then stays there until I start moving again. I've seen non-sensor based GPSs continually rotate when stopped.

But I've also seen a unit that you could put into an 'average' mode, where it will guess that you were stopped on each reading and assume that each reading was to be used to make the current position more accurate. (Terry's old Trek, maybe?) That one didn't spin when stopped.

No idea why Garmin's don't seem to have this option unless it was patented by someone else...