GPS Conversion Software

EmmBeeDee

I found this software in a thread on the ADVRider site - if you're in the habit of pre-riding a trail to create a route for others to follow, you can use the program to convert your track into a proper route, so others can load that properly to their gps. (When I tried to download a saved track to my gps it kept telling me "route truncated" so I never was able to load the whole thing even though it wasn't a storage or maximum waypoint issue)

WinGDB GPS utility
http://www.sackman.info/

Looks like a really useful program, with lots of options.

Attachments

• WINGDB_screenshot2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,388

jackert

Thanks Mike. I had the same error message when uploading tracks into the GPS. I thought it was the fact that the saved tracks (as opposed to active track) have a maximim of 500 points and anything more than that would be truncated. I'll give this a try.

Jeff

EmmBeeDee

jackert":pkqizcnc said:
Thanks Mike. I had the same error message when uploading tracks into the GPS. I thought it was the fact that the saved tracks (as opposed to active track) have a maximim of 500 points and anything more than that would be truncated. I'll give this a try.

Jeff

Hey Jeff;

I was able to open the file I was working with in Mapsource then go to the properties of it and allow almost infinite points to the track, but then when sending to the gps I was getting the "route truncated" message, and it wasn't always at the same point in the file transfer. Seemed to be getting more and more sent, but never the whole route.

I've experimented with WinGDB and found that same track was now able to load completely when I didn't convert it to a route, and used the "Trackfilter" and "Split", with a maximum of 500 points to each track segment, which then gives me 6 tracks from the original, which was 109 kilometers to start with. If I really did have to follow the track I'd have to switch from one segment to another in the gps, but at least I would have the whole thing.

It's a start, but I'll keep experimenting to see if I can keep it all as one track.

Will let you know.

Hey, do you use external power on your gps or batteries on the bike?

Mike