First Ride

Torpedo

I know it's still early and we've got a long way to go to ride season.

I'm looking for a open area to familiarize and break in a bike; closer to Orleans the better.

barbotte

i usualy ride calibogie ,, there is also limerick ... calibogie is still full of snow ,,, i am like you i cannot wait to start riding i got my bike out last week end to look at it lol
cheer

gman

Hi Michael,

Not aware of anywhere to ride closer to Orleans than Larose Forest. It would be good for the purpose you're describing. Be sure to wait for the notice that it is "open" for riding season.

My experience has been... once you ride Calabogie. Everything else pales in comparison. But to each their own!

Keep your eye on the BMA website for organized rides and notices on Trail Openings.

G.

gman

In general, early May is a typical opening time frame for Limerick and Larose. Keep an eye on the BMA Facebook page or the Limerick Forest Mgmt page here: http://www.limerickforest.ca/en/index.asp

As for Calabogie... We're coming out with the following statement on the Facebook Page and the next email delivery to the Club Members:

"We've been getting queries on Trail Openings, Trail Conditions, etc... So let's try and summarize for everyone what we know as of today:

Limerick Forest - Trails are still closed. Trail openings/closings are managed by the appropriate authorities for those areas. As of today, they are still closed. We typically see them open (always weather dependent) in early May. Stay tuned.

Larose Forest - Trails are still closed. Trail openings/closings are managed by the appropriate authorities for those areas. As of today, they are still closed. We typically see them open (always weather dependent) in early May. Stay tuned.

Calabogie - Calabogie is massive... and not a "Managed" area per-se like Limerick and Larose. So in theory, you can ride there any time. Buuuuttt... (Read on for the "practical common sense")

Special Notice - The Highlands Golf Club has asked that we NOT PARK IN THE GRASSY AREA BEHIND THE HIGHLANDS GOLF CLUB until further notice. Although this is not maintained "fairway and green" at the HGC, it is an area that won't reflect well on the Golf Club for their Golf Patrons if it is all chewed up and full of ruts. Stage from High-Falls... or park along the road "beside" the grassy area (and not blocking any lanewa's) for the time being.

Some Members ride "most" of the year... Throughout the regular season (typically May - Nov (never ride during Hunting Season)) and then after the ground firms up in Winter and the snow flies. Install tires with Studs, some hand warmers, etc... and ride all Winter long. (Or get a Timbersled if you have the $$$!!!)

"Practical common sense" for Calabogie that we ask all Members to observe:

Early in the Spring, (meaning April typically... weather dependent) "take it easy and don't chew up the trails". This is even more critical on the single-track on the North (more importantly... a lot more hills and elevation changes here requiring a lot of wheel spin when soft) and South Sides at Calabogie. Single-track is typically less compact soil and more shaded/protected. So the ground-frost and snow tends to linger there longer. We all ride... and understand the "itch" to get out. Especially if you've dropped $$$ on a new ride over the Winter. If you need to get out before the Spring thaw and things have firmed up a bit, stick to the more open trails (ATV double-track, Power Lines, etc) along the 77 and Bompas Corridor(s).

Usually by mid-May, the trails at Calabogie are in "prime" shape.

What shape is Calabogie in? A few of us did a scouting ride last weekend at Calabogie along the 77 Corridor. (From High-Falls)... There was still a fair amount of snow-patches along the 77, the Power Lines and some of the larger ATV trails. Some of it was solid ice, some soft corn snow. Ground is very wet, lots of standing/running water and dead-fall.

We would suggest observing the "take it easy and don't chew up the trails" method for the balance of April and keep your head on a swivel or lose it... Lots of dead-fall out there.

Happy riding!"

- BMA Media Team

Torpedo

Planning my first ride of Larose around the 20th (hopefully everything is dried up by then and the all clear has been sounded).

How well marked is parking area and the riding area? I'm a total newb so please be gentle.

gman

Hi Michael,

I'm hoping another Member who's actually ridden @ Larose can chime in. I'm not sure how well marked it is.

If you go to our website and look up "Events", the X/Y coordinates of the meeting place for the Clean-Up day we had on May 6th is there. I would imagine that is where you would unload.

As for an opening date... The Larose Manager is aiming for May 15th. But those at the Clean-Up Day yesterday said they'd be surprised if some of the trails (that are under water) are rideable by the 15th. Keep an eye on our Facebook Page for an official opening day for Larose and Limerick.

Steve450

The parking is along the road. It's widened to allow room to park right by the trail head, there's also a sign there with a map of the trails. I haven't been riding there yet but I was out there for the clean up on Saturday, the trails are pretty easy to follow and they are marked. It's very wet, most of the trails were underwater when we walked through. Likely be the end of the month before they dry up with all the rain we keep getting.