Engine Oil Recommendations - 4-stroke

gman

Hey all,

Almost time to blow the dust off the bikes and tools for those of us that don't winter-ride... I usually look for sales and stock up on all the consumables for the coming season around this time of year.

Looking to see what others are using in their 4-strokes.

I'm riding a 2015 KTM 350-EXCF and have been running the Motorex 10w60 as per the Manual since new. Change it every ~15 hrs and do Filters every 2nd change.

I'm sure Motorex oil is fine. But at $35-45 CDN/L (or more), it is hard on the wallet. Not trying to cheap out... Good oil and frequent changes are low-cost insurance on a $10K dirt bike.

Want to stay Synthetic. I've heard some guys running Motul, others Bel-Ray, others Castrol, etc... all over the map.

Anyone had real-world, long term good results with an alternate Brand? As long as it meets or exceeds the same specs as factory recommended oil... It seems safe.

Thanks in advance,

G.

Skyllz

Bel-Ray 10w50 Thumper in my FE350S(same engine as your 350EXC). Around 25$ per liter. Takes 1 liter per oil change. I also change it every 15 hours or so.

gman

Skyllz":3a3nkkpj said:
Bel-Ray 10w50 Thumper in my FE350S(same engine as your 350EXC). Around 25$ per liter. Takes 1 liter per oil change. I also change it every 15 hours or so.

Ok. Thx Pierre. Have heard that from a few people now (outside of the Forum).

Steve450

I've been running Klotz synthetic in my CRF450 for 7 years now. I was running Bel-ray when I got the bike but switched to Klotz after I burnt a couple clutch discs. Not sure if it meets the specs for your bike or not though.

mlevesqu

Grant,

Rotella T6 for me 6 years in my 350. I run it in everything. Less than 40 dollars a gallon when on sale at CDN tire.

Marc

Dutch

Grant, I'm running some 20/50 Motomaster Formula1 that I picked up at CT for a buck a bottle mixed with some Quaker State 5/50 synthetic that I also picked up for a buck a bottle. They were discontinued, so I asked how many you got out back and I took them all ...does this help? my spec is 15/50, so the math can be confusing for an oil thread noob, lol. When in doubt, Motorex has an award winning bottle! Back to spooning on my super sticky secret tire combo.

Hey Grant!
I have been running the Motul for my 525 for a number of years and now for the 300. No issues and fully synthetic. I have tried other brands and they do not stand up. I am interested in the Rotella and will give it a try! Before I do that, I'm going to Canadian Tire and will ask for the used oil from the mechanics bay. It should be close to free and I will add weights to meet the KTM specs. Dutch is on to something!

oldschoolktm":1arceydi said:
Hey Grant!
Before I do that, I'm going to Canadian Tire and will ask for the used oil from the mechanics bay. It should be close to free and I will add weights to meet the KTM specs.
:shock:

I can't tell if your joking or not?

gman

mlevesqu":3t5iq3gs said:
Grant,

Rotella T6 for me 6 years in my 350. I run it in everything. Less than 40 dollars a gallon when on sale at CDN tire.

Marc

Hey Marc et al,

Thanks for all the feedback.

We all seem to agree on one thing... Motorex is priced in the stratosphere. I'm no chemist. But I can't imagine they have a special pixie-dust that nobody else has. It's also obvious that KTM not only builds a great product, they have a significant say and $ interest in the "consumables". Makes perfect business sense to me.

Have done a ton of reading since and will likely try the Motul or T6 Synthetic. Have about 6L left of the Motorex which should get me through half the season.

G.