DRZ 400S Suitable for Ottawa Trails?

Tim Taylor

I own a blue plated DRZ250, but I would like to do more street riding. Would a DRZ 400S be suitable for the trails around Ottawa? Would the street version be too heavy (are the trails too tight)?

After having blue plated two bikes already, I'm not so keen on picking up a blue plated 400E to add parts to.

Any help would be great. I am thinking about buying one in the off season.

Skyllz

The DRZ-S is perfectly suitable for the trails as long as you have good knobbies. The rest(suspension among other things) will only make you faster down the trail.

However the E model does have a few extras that are nice to have. Better forks, more power out of the box, lighter also due to alot of stuff not here OEM. An aftermarket dual sport kit will still be ligther then the OEM one too.

For the tires, a good example is last week-end when I went with Dallas. All was fine and dandy until a small amount of rain dropped. I cant imagine how slippery it would have ended up with some 50/50 tires in some areas.

Tim Taylor

I have some pretty agressive DOT tires on my bike now. Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear, and a Michelin...something on the front.

Not having ridden around here yet...what type of trails can I expect? Mostly tight single track...double track...fire roads...hills...sand...water mix of all?

Tim Taylor

Great, thanks. We are going to have to get out sometime this season...

I like the easier single track, track and a half, hills, some water, and some sand, but I don't enjoy the super tight gnarly sinlge track for longer periods of time. My skill level and endurance are not there yet....