Dirt Tire Suggestions?

FJ11

Hi All,

I was wondering what brand/model of tires you are all using on your “dirt only” bikes for the local trails.

My 2003 KLX400R that I just picked up is in need of new tires. It still has the original Dunlop D756 tires but the knobs are now very rounded. The front end seems to push and few vague in the loose stuff.
This bike will be used strictly on the local trails, dirt pits and cottage roads.

I don’t want a tire that will need replacing after a few hours of use. I hear that some “sticky” tires are good but will wear out fast or chunk.

What do you suggest?

Mark

Reid

Put a good trials tire on the back. It will wear forever and on anything other than lots of mud or really deep sand, it will work better in the dirt than a knobby.

dschultz

Administrator
I put on Maxxis SI (front & rear) last year for riding in Limerick and Calabogie, so far wear (from roots & rocks) and traction have been very good while running them at 14-15 psi.
Dale

gormana

I just replaced the rear tire on my KDX 220. The old tire was a Michelin M12, which I'd been happy with until going out to Calabogie. I replaced it with a Bridgestone M404 and was back out to Calabogie this past Monday - this tire really hooked up! If you're in the market still, definitely worth looking into.

scott1

Hi,

I ride on the Michelin Cross Ac10.
awesome and great for on off road use on my XR650L

17psi in the woods 22psi on the street.