Definitions: beginner vs. novice

ktmkevin

In case you hadn't noticed our spring club trail ride is fast approaching but, it seems, some new members are being scared off by the "no beginners please" note for the ride in the Events section therefore a clarification seems timely. A beginner is someone who just learned to ride a few weeks ago and only has experience wobbling around the field behind the house for 15 minutes at a time while still struggling with the controls and never getting past second gear. Nothing wrong with this as everyone has to start somewhere but, sorry, the BMA simply can't cater to this level of rider until skills are developed a little further. Even the easiest loop in Calabogie can be 50 kms. long and contain some minor challenges such as ruts and small climbs. A novice, on the other hand, is reasonably proficient controlling the bike and has at least a little experience in true "offroad" conditions like rocks, roots and small amounts of mud. But, please don't misunderstand, this is not to say that you have to be an "really good" or "fast" rider. Many novice riders are returning to the sport after some years off or have been learning for a few years and wish to expand their horizons with the BMA. The club welcomes novices with opened arms and we work very hard to give these riders a positive experience. BTW Limerick is a good test; if you can get through the single track there relatively proficiently then you are probably ready for Calabogie. But, if you struggle in Limerick, best to spend some time developing skills before tackling a Cababogie club ride. Hope this has been helpful but, if your nose is out of joint regarding your skill level, sorry.... this is an unavoidable reality.

scott1

Hi,

I would say the rider levels may differ depending on the type of bike you ride eg: DS vs dirt. Years of experience and trail preference will also be factors I'm sure.

Would you be able to explain what all the ride levels are or what should be accomplished "or what your comfort level is" in order to define "ride level" a person would consider themselve suited for?

Thanks,
Scott

ktmkevin

Trying to put me on the spot here, aren't you? Unfortunately there isn't an easy answer to defining skill levels. But it has been my observation that novice dirt riders and novice DS riders generally like the same things; fire roads or logging roads and easy two track. But I have guided novices that enjoy the challenges of slightly more difficult two track with some rocks and minor climbs. As always, at any level, the key is the speed; more experience means (generally) more speed and more speed ratchets up the challenge level obviously. After that, I'm not qualified to speak about DS skills as I've never done this type of riding. Maybe one of the DS vets can chime in on that topic. On the dirt side, defining skill levels is difficult. In my opinion an intermediate rider can ride 95% of the terrain that an expert can but not nearly as fast. That means that an intermediate can handle tight, rough, rocky and root infested Calabogie terrain while dealing with short, steep, rock littered climbs and descents; sounds like a ton of fun, right? Ultimately, the only way to know what your level is, if you're new to the club, is to get out there and give it a try. The club ride is coming soon so plan to attend. I would suggest that if you don't have extensive previous experience then joining the skill level group that is one step lower than you think you might be at would be a grand idea. Most riders new to Calabogie just don't have any idea how nasty the conditions can get on even an intermediate ride so it is best to take an easier ride until you get a feel for what the area is like. It usually only takes one ride to grasp your personal skill level then life is good! And, in closing, I will repeat a warning from a previous post: just because you can breeze through the Limerick single track you are not automatically at a (Calabogie) intermediate skill level. Calabogie is a quantum leap higher on the overall difficulty scale. You have been warned. See ya there; it will be fun.

scott1

Not at all.

You are right dirt vs. DS is different for sure.

I was encouraged by your first post and I wanted to hear more about what you had to say.

I understand the "quickness" can increase on the track once a person becomes more familiar and I know I've increased my speed this year and learned a few things from other DS riders and my own trial and errors.

Scott.