Dakar

AL.D

Why do we not have any Canadians raceing in the DAKAR this year?
The race is televised every night at 7:00 on O.L.N these guys are ironmen
Raceing 16 days up to 800k's at a crazy pace.
I would like to start a sponsorship for the 2008 Dakar,I will donate $100.00 to the first B.M.A member to enter the Dakar as long as I can be a support rider/mechanic :lol: :lol: :lol:

ktmkevin

Thanx, but I shall decline the offer. Have seen and read a lot about the Dakar rally and I don't think the challenge is having the best/fastest bike or trying to beat the other riders. The true challenge is digging deep within yourself to find the physical and mental stamina to keep going no matter what. On top of that you have to meet the challenge of surviving the course. I find the loss of life in this race to be quite saddening as I read that South African rider perished a few days ago. Let's just say that I don't think I (and the other 99.99% of the population) are really up to the challenge. Dakar glory just isn't worth risking your life.

ktmkevin

Just had a thought: if you get a chance, ask your fellow BMA members Dave Wrack (ISDE medalist) or Scott Bowes (WEC competitor) about what it takes toi compete at the highest level in terms of "intestinal fortitude". I'm sure their comments would be quite revealing.