California Road / Hydro Line Ride Saturday late afternoon

scott1

Hi, just throwing this out there.

I'm thinking of heading up to ride the California road then a bolt down the Hydro line trail. I'm thinking I would start at Tatlock..does anyone know where I can park my van /trailer? in this area? any suggested starting points with van friendly parking are welcomed! :)

Start time: 4:00pm (ish)

SRioux

Can't make it this time, but how is the power line trail in that section? (Hard, rocky, muddy... ?)

scott1

Hi Steve,

No problem, I see you are going out of town this weekend.

for next weekend I'm not sure of my schedule yet. If I can't make the ride on the Quebec side, we should try later in the summer.

Scott

scott1

I ended up on the California Road, however a little too late in the day to enjoy the ride for more than 1.5 hours then I had to turn around. 6:45pm.
I found two sets of hydro lines. The first set was a short lived ride with a major water hole (small lake) that I didn't bother to take a run at and the other opposite side hydro line portion was a dead end with signs up stating private property.

I found parking about 4km from the intersection of California road and Darling road. I think I will drive directly to the site next time on the bike vs. throwing the bike on my trailer.

Attachments

• road_sign1.GIF
    road_sign1.GIF
    43.3 KB · Views: 13,599
  • bike212g.GIF
    bike212g.GIF
    106.3 KB · Views: 13,600
  • bike_rack1.JPG
    bike_rack1.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 13,593

Terry

Staff member
That would be the one with the great lake. just as PeteZ about it :oops: Once you get through the lake it is a good trail for many miles.

scott1

I think that was the powerline trail that I went down and ran into that mini lake almost immediatly. I have no idea how deep that water is, but there didn't look like a clear way around it.

SRioux

Terry":1k47sw23 said:
That would be the one with the great lake. just as PeteZ about it :oops: Once you get through the lake it is a good trail for many miles.

Boooooo... seemed to be a great way to link trails together!

Does it ever dry out?? :?:

Terry

Staff member
Ive never seen it dry out but it is quite passable. The best bet is to ride with a "buddy" to act as a human dip stick so you can see how deep it is. If your buddy goes for a swim try your luck with a different line or turn around. Please rescue your buddy first or you will soon run out of buddies :D

msnider

and its always better to walk the big water crossings first. better to get a little wet by choice than a lot wet by accident.you never know whats hiding on bottom of those big muck holes.

PeteZ

msnider":27v1931p said:
and its always better to walk the big water crossings first. better to get a little wet by choice than a lot wet by accident.you never know whats hiding on bottom of those big muck holes.

...like choicely positioned larger rollie rocks :oops: :roll:

I'm walk'n my bike across that one next time :wink: (and many thanks to Terry and Ronzo for their help and patience .... it only took 10 oil changes once I got home to get all the water out of the crankcase :shock: )

scott1

A friend and I went for a early morning drive today:

Left at 6:30am - Barrhaven, Richmond, Carleton Place, Clayton, California Road (some washed out areas, slippery mud too), White Lake, Arnprior then back on the 417. Just under 4 hours. Great day and there is still some snow on the side of the road near White Lake.

:eek: